1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Three Blocks

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Blocks of mass 5, 10, and 25 kg are lined up from left to right in that order on a frictionless surface so each block is touching the next one. A rightward-pointing force of magnitude 14 N is applied to the left-most block.

a) What is the magnitude of the force that the middle block exerts on the rightmost one?
    Fright, middle = 8.749999995
    b) What is the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one?
    Fmiddle, left = ?
    c) Suppose now that the left-right order of the blocks is reversed. Now find the magnitude of the force that the leftmost block exerts on the middle one?
    F'middle, left = ?

i figured out the first part i just need help to do the last two
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    I don't think (a) is right. Here's what I would do.

F = ma

The force pushing on the blocks is equal to their total mass times their acceleration but we have to solve for acceleration.

14 = 30a

a = 7/15

Use F = ma for every question and don't forget Newton's 3rd law

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    part a is correct because the homework is on a software and it accepted my answer

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    how did you get a

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    Nevermind. I screwed up. The total mass of the blocks is equal to 40 not 30. So a is right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook