1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three body problem

1. Jul 24, 2004 #1
    Are quarks in a proton an example of a three body problem?
    Is there a quark combination e.g two top quarks and a bottom quark,
    that can give Lagrange points like the Earth, Moon and a small communications satellite can?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2004 #2
    Re : three body problem

As a matter of fact there are two visions coming from the concept of quarkconfinement. One can see a proton as three quarks sitting at the endpoints of a mercedes-shaped structure (Mercedes-configuration or Y-configuration (no quark in the centre !!!)). The second possibility are three quarks sitting at the endpoints of a triangle-shaped configuration. The Mercedes shape comes from a three-body interaction while the triangle-shape is formed when only multiple two-body-interactions are taken into account between the quarks.These models are explained by the dual superconductor models. Which of the two structures make up a proton, depends on the distance between the quarks. i believe (but not sure) that for interquarkdistances beneath 0.7fm the triangle-shape is more favourable when looked at the energy necessary to make a quarktriplet. You need less energy to make a triangle then to make a mercedes-shape.

4. Jul 24, 2004 #3
    Those lagrange points come from a gravitational three body system. The interaction between quarks is of a totally different nature. This is the strong force. So whether you can construct such points just like with planets seems implausible to me, but I don't know for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?