1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Boxes and a Pulley

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Three boxes (A, B, and C) are connected by cords, one of which wraps over a pulley having negligible friction on its axle and negligible mass. Box A is on a frictionless table, boxes B and C hang over the side of the table.
    The masses are mA = 30.0 kg, mB = 40.0 kg, mC = 18.0 kg.

(a) When the assembly is released from rest, what is the tension in the cord that connects boxes B and C?
    60.1 N
    (b) How far does box A move in the first 0.250 s (assuming it does not reach the pulley)?
    0.202 m

Answers given are the book's answer's. (Actually, part b used to be my answer also, but I can't duplicate it...)

I'd like to start by calculating tension in the string connecting A to B&C, and then say that for A in the x direction, [tex]\Sigma\ F=T=m_Aa[/tex], and then use a to find delta x. Unfortunately, since the system is in motion, [tex]T\neq\ (m_B+m_C)g[/tex], and I don't know how to find it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3
    All the blocks accelerate at the same magnitude, so first find that acceleration.

You know that net force on block C = McA (by Newton's second law) and you also know that net force on C=(Mc)(g)-T.

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?