Three charges in a line ( fast -please? (thanks))

In summary, a problem involving three charges fixed on the x-axis and a particle with a charge and mass placed on the y-axis was discussed. The initial acceleration of the particle was calculated, with the y component being 120 m/s/s. It was noted that the x acceleration is zero due to the direction of the charges on the x-axis.
mujadeo
three charges in a line (need help fast --please? (thanks))

Homework Statement

Two charges Qc and -Qc(Qc = 6 µC) are fixed on the x-axis at x = -8 cm andx = 8 cm, respectively. A third charge Qb = 2 µC is fixed at the origin. (attached .gif file shows the diagram)

A particle with charge q = 0.4 µC and mass m = 6 g is placed on the y-axis at y = 10 cm and released. There is no gravity.

Calculate the initial acceleration of the particle.

Homework Equations

I calculated the y component of the acceleration no prob. (asuby = 120m/s/s)

Im saying the x acceleration is zero, because all the acceleration is along the y-axis.
this is wrong for some reason?

Please help thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• showme3.gif
    showme3.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Take note of the the signs of the two charges placed at (-8,0) and (8,0); one charge is Qc [i.e. positive] and the other is -Qc [i.e. negative]...

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help. I understand that you are trying to calculate the initial acceleration of a particle placed on the y-axis at a certain distance from a fixed charge and released with no gravity. You have correctly calculated the y component of the acceleration, but you are unsure about the x component.

Firstly, let's review the concept of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, the force between the particle and the fixed charge at the origin would be:

F = k(qQb)/r^2

Where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particle, Qb is the charge of the fixed charge at the origin, and r is the distance between them. Note that this force is acting in the x direction, towards the origin.

Since the only force acting on the particle is in the x direction, the initial acceleration in the x direction would be:

a_x = F/m = k(qQb)/mr^2

Therefore, the initial acceleration in the x direction is not zero, but is dependent on the distance between the particle and the fixed charge at the origin. I would recommend plugging in the values given in the problem to calculate the initial acceleration in the x direction.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

1. What is the concept of "three charges in a line"?

The concept of "three charges in a line" refers to a scenario in which three electric charges are arranged in a straight line. These charges can either be positive or negative and have a distance between them.

2. What are the factors that affect the electric force between the three charges?

The electric force between the three charges is affected by their magnitudes, distances between them, and the direction of their charges. The force is directly proportional to the product of the magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. How can we calculate the net electric force on each charge?

To calculate the net electric force on each charge, we need to use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them. We can use vector addition to find the net force on each charge by considering the direction and magnitude of the forces between them.

4. Can the charges in a line be in equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible for the charges in a line to be in equilibrium if the net force on each charge is equal to zero. This can happen when the three charges have equal magnitudes and are equally spaced from each other.

5. How does the presence of a fourth charge affect the system of three charges in a line?

The presence of a fourth charge can affect the system of three charges in a line by changing the net force on each charge. The magnitude and direction of the force will depend on the location and charge of the fourth charge in relation to the other three charges.