1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Charges in a Triangle

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three electrons form an equilateral triangle 1.00 nm on each side. A proton is at the center of the triangle. What is the potential energy of this group of charges?

2. Relevant equations

U = K q1 q2 / r
    K = 9*10^9
    q = 1.6*10^-19

3. The attempt at a solution

First I made the triangle and tried to get the U of the three negative charges. I did (9*10^9)(1.6*10^-19)^2/(1*10^-9) and multiplied this by 3 because there are 3 different PE combinations with the negative charges and got 6.912*10^-19. Then i found it for the positive and negative charges and there are also 3 combinations for this. I calculated the distance from the negative to the positive charge to be .66 nm and then i used the same formula multiplied by 3 to get 1.05*10^-8.

Now I tried adding the PE's together but the first number is negligible compared to the second. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in calculating the radius, or if there is another point I'm missing on how to figure out the total PE. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted