What is the Relationship Between Angles and Dimensions?

• Thread starter Bananaman3579
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of three-dimensional angles and whether or not there is any actual study or measurement for them. The idea is that angles, typically measured in units of 1/360th of a circle, may change when adding a third dimension. The conversation also references the use of steradians, a unit of measurement for solid angles.
Bananaman3579
Three Dimensional Angles?!?

ok, this is a stretch. I have an idea. If there are angles, measured in units of 1/360th of a circle. what happens when you add the third dimension factor. I thought it would be somehow measured in units of like the area of a sphere divided by 360^2 maybe. The problem with area is that it changes depending on the size of the sphere. Then somehow I'm picturing a cone and a triangle. This is most easily applied to a cube, if there are more sides the 2 dimensional figure made for the cone would change.

I would like to know if there is ay actualy study of what I;m trying to describe.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
*I would know if there is any actual study based on what I'm trying to explain.

thanks that was pretty much exactly what i pictured in my head

1. What is a three dimensional angle?

A three dimensional angle is a measure of rotation or displacement in three-dimensional space. It is composed of three angles, one for each axis - x, y, and z.

2. How is a three dimensional angle represented?

A three dimensional angle can be represented using various methods, such as Euler angles, axis-angle notation, or quaternion notation. These methods use different mathematical equations to describe the rotation or displacement in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the difference between a three dimensional angle and a two dimensional angle?

A three dimensional angle has three components, while a two dimensional angle only has two. This means that a three dimensional angle can represent rotation or displacement in three directions, while a two dimensional angle can only describe motion in two directions.

4. How are three dimensional angles used in science?

Three dimensional angles are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe the orientation of objects in three-dimensional space and calculate their movements or transformations.

5. Can three dimensional angles be measured?

Yes, three dimensional angles can be measured using specialized tools such as protractors, goniometers, or digital angle finders. These tools are designed to accurately measure the three angles that make up a three dimensional angle.