1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Dimensional Objects

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know if science has actually proved that anything other than 3 dimensional objects exist? We call drawings 2d, because it is the only way we can concieve of it, but the lead particles on a page are still 3 dimensional. My question comes partially from recently looking at string theory. I am unable to concieve of a 1 dimensional thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, non-string physics already has 0-dimensional objects, namely point particles, so you should then consider string theory as a major step forward, no ? Still 2 such steps, and we're home :smile: Give those scientists some time, they're a bit slow on the mental side :biggrin:

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Feb 14, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are u unable to conceive a 1D-string...?All strings are 1D.It would be really weird to talk about 2D strings...Or 0D strings...

Daniel.

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4
    This depends on what you mean by "string". in quantum physics it is one dimensional, but in the world on a larger scale, a string is three dimensional. What I was asking was, could these one dimensional strings be seen by a human eye, or on some kind of electron microscope, and therefore be truly proved? What I meant by not being able to concieve of something that is one dimensional, is that I can not see it or picture it in my mind, and therefore, can not concieve it.

6. Feb 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitely not.

Definitely not.

Think of electrons...Do we see them...?They're 0D objects (treated by theory),but we would like to think they have 3 dimensions...How do we know electrons exist,if we can't "conceive" it...?

Daniel.

7. Feb 14, 2005 #6
    thank you. that definetly gives me a better understanding of dimensions. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?