Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Dimensional Objects

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know if science has actually proved that anything other than 3 dimensional objects exist? We call drawings 2d, because it is the only way we can concieve of it, but the lead particles on a page are still 3 dimensional. My question comes partially from recently looking at string theory. I am unable to concieve of a 1 dimensional thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, non-string physics already has 0-dimensional objects, namely point particles, so you should then consider string theory as a major step forward, no ? Still 2 such steps, and we're home :smile: Give those scientists some time, they're a bit slow on the mental side :biggrin:

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Feb 14, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are u unable to conceive a 1D-string...?All strings are 1D.It would be really weird to talk about 2D strings...Or 0D strings...

Daniel.

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4
    This depends on what you mean by "string". in quantum physics it is one dimensional, but in the world on a larger scale, a string is three dimensional. What I was asking was, could these one dimensional strings be seen by a human eye, or on some kind of electron microscope, and therefore be truly proved? What I meant by not being able to concieve of something that is one dimensional, is that I can not see it or picture it in my mind, and therefore, can not concieve it.

6. Feb 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitely not.

Definitely not.

Think of electrons...Do we see them...?They're 0D objects (treated by theory),but we would like to think they have 3 dimensions...How do we know electrons exist,if we can't "conceive" it...?

Daniel.

7. Feb 14, 2005 #6
    thank you. that definetly gives me a better understanding of dimensions. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?