1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three forces acting on a point

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    I'm sorry that this is probably a repeat topic, but I am having a hard time using other threads as examples. This is probably really easy, I just can't seem to figure it out the way our teacher taught it. I'll try and make this short and simple.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are three forces acting on a single point. One is 15 N north; the second is 15 N west; and the final is 15 N at 30 degrees east of north. Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

2. Relevant equations

Basic trig (sin, cos, tan), a^2 + b^2 = c^2. This is all we have been taught in this class and are expected (and should be able to) solve with just this.

3. The attempt at a solution

PHP:
            10 N north
                |  /
                | /   15 N 30 degrees east of north
    <-----------|/    
       15 N west
    From there I am unsure of what I could do to easily solve it (also a little unsure of what I am even solving for).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

One easy way to add vectors is to find their components (x & y = East-West & North-South) and add them. Then you can find the magnitude and direction of the resultant from its components.

4. Mar 9, 2011 #3
    Could you please help me with theory of vectors at equilibrium?

5. Mar 9, 2011 #4

Doc Al

If an object is in equilibrium, the forces acting on it (which are vectors) must add to zero. Is that what you mean?

6. Mar 9, 2011 #5
    For the original poster: any question like this, even one with 2034 forces acting on a point, can easily be solved by breaking each vector into x and y components and then adding up to find the resultant. Some people find a chart helpful.

V| x | y
    1| 0 | 10
    2|-15| 0
    3| ?x| ?y

The total in the x direction would be -15 + ?, and the total in the y would be 10 + ?y.

To find ?x and ?y will require some trig.

7. Mar 9, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Realize that this thread is about 2 1/2 years old.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?