1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Forces

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three forces in the x-y plane act on a 2.6 kg mass: 13.3 N directed at 65°, 7.6 N directed at 160 °, and 10.1 N directed at 236° . All angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the Counter-Clockwise direction. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    Fx = m*ax
    Fy - m*ay
    Newton's Second Law in the x and y direction, respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a picture on a scratch piece of paper, calculated x and y components of each vector, and then added x and y components of the resultant. Solving for acceleration, I got ax = 1.688 m/s^2, and ay = 7.808 m/s^2.

How do I get the magnitude of the acceleration? Sorry for not being able to post my picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

You can probably add those two components - the reverse of the was you calculated the components of each Force.
    Personally, I would have combined the final two components of the force to get a single net Force and then used F = ma, but it should give the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook