Three Infinite Straight Wires

In summary, three infinite straight wires are arranged parallel to the z-axis and carry currents in opposite directions. The x-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1 is calculated using Biot-Savart's Law and the Magnetic Force equation. Students may encounter difficulties due to input errors in calculators.
darwin59

Homework Statement

Three infinite straight wires are fixed in place and aligned parallel to the z-axis as shown. The wire at (x,y) = (-23.5 cm, 0) carries current I1 = 3.3 A in the negative z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (23.5 cm, 0) carries current I2 = 1.2 A in the positive z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (0, 40.7 cm) carries current I3 = 7.9 A in the positive z-direction.

http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/EM/14/h14_threewires.png

What is Fx(1), the x-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1?

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's Law: B=[itex]\frac{μ_{o}I}{2∏r}[/itex]
Magnetic Force: F=ILxB
F=[itex]\frac{μ_{o}I_{1}I_{2}L}{2∏r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using B-S to find each magnetic field individually, then find their forces individually, then combined together to get the total force. Using the arctan, I can get the angle of the force from the x-axis, which allows me to get the force in the x direction. I've also tried combining the fields together first and finding the angle then. I then use the force from the field. In both situations I'm getting a force of 7.138e-5N in the negative x direction, but apparently I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out my problem. I was actually doing it right, but I'm using a different calculator, so I was inputing numbers wrong.

I currently am on this problem with my homework. I thought this was correct. Thank you for the reassurance.

1. What is the concept of "Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

The concept of "Three Infinite Straight Wires" refers to a hypothetical scenario in which three infinitely long wires are placed parallel to each other, with equal distance between them.

2. What is the significance of studying "Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

Studying "Three Infinite Straight Wires" allows scientists to understand the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields in a simplified scenario. This concept is also useful in understanding and designing electrical circuits and devices.

3. How do electric currents flow in "Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

In "Three Infinite Straight Wires", electric currents flow in opposite directions in the outer wires and in the same direction in the middle wire. This creates a circular magnetic field around the middle wire, known as the Ampere's law.

4. What is the mathematical equation for calculating the magnetic field in "Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

The magnetic field in "Three Infinite Straight Wires" can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current in the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

Some real-world applications of "Three Infinite Straight Wires" include the design of solenoids, which are used in electromagnets and speakers, and the study of the Earth's magnetic field, which can be approximated by three infinite wires with different currents.