Solving Challenging Integrals: Strategies and Examples

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the order of the integrals from lowest to highest is j, k, l. This can be determined by comparing the integrands and taking into account the range of integration, which is from 0 to 1 for all three integrals. It is not necessary to actually solve the integrals to determine the order.
Dustinsfl
j=[tex]\int\sqrt{1-x^{4}}[/tex]

k=[tex]\int\sqrt{1+x^{4}}[/tex]

l=[tex]\int\sqrt{1-x^{8}}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out the order for example j<k<l. I don't know how to integrate any of these.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention 0 to 1 are the bounds of all 3.

Don't even try to integrate them. Can't you order the functions you are integrating on [0,1]?

I am trying to determine the order but I don't know how to do that without solving them.

Which is largest, sqrt(1+x^4), sqrt(1-x^4) or sqrt(1-x^8)?

+, but for the x to the 8th and 4th it depends on if 0<x<1 or if x is outside that range. If x is between 0-1, the order would be +, 8th power, 4th. If not in that range, +, 4th, and 8th.

I don't think these are integrable in terms of elementary functions.

But if you just want to sort them from lowest to highest, that shouldn't be too hard.

For example, compare the integrands of j and k:

[tex]\sqrt{1-x^4}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sqrt{1+x^4}[/tex]

Clearly the first one is [itex]\leq[/itex] the second one for all [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex], and the inequality is strict for [itex]x \in (0, 1][/itex], so that implies [itex]j < k[/itex].

Comparing the integrand for L shouldn't be too much harder - give it a try and let us know if you get stuck.

Dustinsfl said:
+, but for the x to the 8th and 4th it depends on if 0<x<1 or if x is outside that range. If x is between 0-1, the order would be +, 8th power, 4th. If not in that range, +, 4th, and 8th.

Didn't you say the range of integration is 0<=x<=1?

I did.

Dustinsfl said:
I did.

Hence, why are you worried about values outside that range?

Dustinsfl said:
j=[tex]\int\sqrt{1-x^{4}}[/tex]

k=[tex]\int\sqrt{1+x^{4}}[/tex]

l=[tex]\int\sqrt{1-x^{8}}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out the order for example j<k<l. I don't know how to integrate any of these.

http://www.quickmath.com/

1. What are the three integrals that you can't solve?

The three integrals that I can't solve are the Fresnel integral, the Gamma function integral, and the Riemann zeta function integral.

2. Why are these integrals difficult to solve?

These integrals are difficult to solve because they involve complex mathematical functions and do not have a closed-form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

3. Can these integrals be approximated?

Yes, these integrals can be approximated using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule, Monte Carlo integration, or using software tools like Mathematica or MATLAB.

4. Are there any real-world applications for these integrals?

Yes, these integrals have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, the Fresnel integral is used in optics to calculate the diffraction patterns of light, while the Riemann zeta function integral is used in number theory and has connections to prime numbers.

5. Is there ongoing research to find solutions to these integrals?

Yes, there is ongoing research to find analytical solutions to these integrals and to develop more efficient numerical methods for approximating them. These integrals are still an active area of study in mathematics and have applications in other fields, so there is a lot of interest in finding solutions to them.