1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three integrals to evaluate

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. [tex]\int\frac{2}{e^{-x} + 1}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{2t - 1}{t^{2} + 4}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{4}{4x^{2} + 4x + 65}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I'm not sure what to do. A u-substitution would give me e^(-x) dx, but I don't see how I could get an e^(-x) dx anywhere in the integrand.

2. Again I have no idea. I'm thinking maybe it will involve arc tan, except the numerator isn't 1, so what would I do with the 2t-1 numerator?

3. I tried completing the square, to get something that resembled an arc tan, but that didn't work too well. I'm not sure what else to do; a u-substitution wouldn't work I don't think that would just get 8x + 4.

No integration by parts or partial fractions allowed yet. Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

zcd

For the first one, note that [tex]\int\frac{2}{e^{-x} + 1}\,dx=\int \frac{2}{1+\frac{1}{e^x}}}\,dx[/tex].

For the second one [tex]\int\frac{2t - 1}{t^{2} + 4}\,dt = \int\frac{2t}{t^{2} + 4}\,dt - \int\frac{1}{t^{2} + 4}\,dt[/tex]

For the third one, you almost have it. Try doing 2x+1 = 8tanθ

4. Sep 4, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the other two hints, I don't understand what you mean by 2x+1 = tan theta?

5. Sep 4, 2009 #4

zcd

Are you familiar with trigonometric substitution?
    [tex]\int\frac{4}{4x^{2} + 4x + 65}\,dx=\int\frac{4}{(2x+1)^{2}+8^{2}}\,dx=\frac{1}{16}\int\frac{1}{\tan^{2}(\theta)+1}\,dx[/tex]

because
    [tex]8\tan(\theta)=2x+1[/tex], [tex]\theta=\arctan(\frac{2x+1}{8})[/tex] and [tex]2dx=8\sec^{2}(\theta)[/tex].

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5
    Oooh nevermind I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook