Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-Line Diagram?

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    Hi all, is anyone familiar with the term 'three-line diagram'? I've been searching and googling up the wazoo, but all I've uncovered so far is that "A three-line diagram is more detailed than a one-line diagram," which is frustratingly vague. I'm guessing that this term is an alternate one for a more commonly-used term.

(I'm a three-year EE student working an informal internship at a small hydroelectric facility. My 'bosses' have asked me to look into reconnecting to the NYS grid via the NYSEG power company, but neither of them are engineers so I'm mostly on my own. A three-line diagram is one of the first steps that NYSEG documentation requires to connect to the grid. I've been trying to reach NYSEG, but I figured I'd ask the good PF folks instead of sitting on my hands.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Others will give you better answers, but I'm guessing they mean the 3-phase power wiring diagram? The utility is definitely the best to talk to. They will need to do inspections and approve your interconnect circuitry/modules.

4. Jul 21, 2014 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A one-line diagram:

10.5923.j.instrument.20120102.03_001.gif

A three-line diagram:

analytical-schematic-diagram-distributive-power-substation.gif

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

See, like I said. There's a *better* answer! :smile:

6. Jul 23, 2014 #5
    Thank you all!

7. Jul 23, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You get the same sort of 'abbreviation' with layout diagrams of complex digital circuits where 16 or 32 lines get drawn as one. Really essential at times.

8. Jul 23, 2014 #7

psparky

Gold Member

We also use the words "one line" or "single line".

Single lines are typically used for overall power distribution like in factory substations....or a single line to describe say 100 or more substations in a factory.

Instead of using three lines, they just use one line to represent three phase power. Makes sense when you have multiple loads to keep track of on one single page or drawing.

In the drawing above, three line makes more sense because they are showing details of how to wire it.
    Single lines are more of an overall view to the electrician or plant engineer.

9. Jul 23, 2014 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  10. Jul 25, 2014 #9
    This has all been very helpful, and I got a good start on this diagram yesterday!

Can anyone recommend a pdf with all of the common circuit symbols and labels? Not necessarily with every single symbol under the sun, but enough so that I don't have to invent symbols for stuff. (An asynchronous generator with a Y-connection and a motor starter have already come up.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook