How Do Magnetic Fields Interact in a System of Three Parallel Wires?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field at the midpoint of an equilateral triangle formed by three parallel wires with opposite currents. The magnitude and direction of the magnetic field are determined using the right hand rule and the Pythagorean theorem. The resulting calculation is B = 2B_M + B_P, where B_M is the field from the negative currents and B_P is the field from the positive current.
Queue

Homework Statement

Three long parallel wires are 4.0 cm from one another. (Looking along them, they are at three corners of an equilateral triangle.) The current in each wire is 8.00 A, but its direction in wire M is opposite to that in wires N and P. By convention we can say that M is at the top of our equilateral triangle and N on the lower left hand corner.

Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the midpoint of the side of the triangle between wire M and wire N.

I'm totally lost; any input would be much appreciated.

Homework Equations

B = [tex]\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = [tex]\frac{\mu_0 8}{2 \pi (.0447213595)}[/tex] since the field from M and from N cancel each other out we're left with only the field from P which is [tex]\sqrt{.04^2 + .02^2}[/tex] m from our midpoint of MN. This would give us B = [tex]\frac{2(10^{-7})(8)}{.0447213595} = 3.57770877*10^{-5} T[/tex].

I'm not sure how to calculate the angle although if I do right hand rule for r to B giving me I as out of the page I think that it should be along the plane of the page.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Queue said:
since the field from M and from N cancel each other out we're left with only the field from P ...

Welcome to PF.

But not so fast there Tonto. These currents M,N are in opposite directions.

Complicating it a little is that the B from P is a vector pointing in a different direction. (Happily it is at least perpendicular to M,N at that mid-point.)

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

But not so fast there Tonto. These currents M,N are in opposite directions.

Complicating it a little is that the B from P is a vector pointing in a different direction. (Happily it is at least perpendicular to M,N at that mid-point.)

Since the currents are in opposite directions and the distance from the midpoint of MN is the same doesn't the field from M cancel out the field from N?

I'm not sure quite what you meant in that last bit. Sorry.

Queue said:
Since the currents are in opposite directions and the distance from the midpoint of MN is the same doesn't the field from M cancel out the field from N?

I'm not sure quite what you meant in that last bit. Sorry.

The B-field is the right hand rule. You are on opposite sides of two inversely related currents.

LowlyPion said:
The B-field is the right hand rule. You are on opposite sides of two inversely related currents.

Oh duh, go me...

So B = [tex]2*B_M+B_P[/tex] where [tex] B_P [/tex] is what I came up with in the first part and [tex] B_M = \frac{2(10^{-7})(8)}{.02} [/tex]?

Last edited:
Queue said:
Oh duh, go me...

One way to think about the field that I find useful is to use the right hand, thumb up for positive and left hand with thumb up for negative currents.

Aside from looking like McCain on the campaign trail, you can see your little pinkies pointing together.

LowlyPion said:
One way to think about the field that I find useful is to use the right hand, thumb up for positive and left hand with thumb up for negative currents.

Aside from looking like McCain on the campaign trail, you can see your little pinkies pointing together.

Haha which means instead of canceling out they replicate each other so I have what I said above ([tex] B = 2B_M + B_P [/tex])?

Queue said:
Haha which means instead of canceling out they replicate each other so I have what I said above ([tex] B = 2B_M + B_P [/tex])?

As vectors of course.

LowlyPion said:
As vectors of course.

Of course. For magnitude was my initial concern.

I guess where I get stuck adding magnetic fields as vectors in finding direction is the curvature thing; straight vectors are easy. I have the field from M and N going towards P and from P going perpendicular to these vectors along the line MN.

I'd just need to find the angle trigonometrically with the right triangle with sides of the magnitude above?

Queue said:
I'd just need to find the angle trigonometrically with the right triangle with sides of the magnitude above?

Exactamente. Let Pythagoras be your guide for magnitude and tan-1 gives the angle.

LowlyPion said:
Exactamente. Let Pythagoras be your guide for magnitude and tan-1 gives the angle.

Thank you so much!

1. What is the concept of three long parallel wires?

The concept of three long parallel wires refers to a physics problem in which three wires are arranged parallel to each other and an electrical current is flowing through them. This scenario is often used to study the magnetic field and forces between the wires.

2. How are the wires oriented in this problem?

The wires are typically arranged in a straight line, parallel to each other. They can be placed either horizontally, vertically, or at any other angle as long as they are parallel.

3. What is the purpose of studying three long parallel wires?

Studying this problem allows us to understand the effects of magnetic fields and forces in parallel wire systems. It also has practical applications in electrical engineering, such as in designing circuits and motors.

4. How is the magnetic field affected by the currents in the wires?

The magnetic field around each wire is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. As the currents in the wires change, the magnetic field also changes, resulting in forces between the wires.

5. What are some real-life examples of three long parallel wires?

Some real-life examples include power lines, where multiple wires are arranged parallel to each other to transmit electricity. Another example is a three-phase power system, where three wires are used to distribute electricity in a more efficient manner.