1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three mass pulley problem-Neat!

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    Block 1 of mass m_1 is placed on block 2 of mass m_2 which is then placed on a table. A string connecting block 2 to a hanging mass M passes over a pulley attached to one end of the table. The mass and friction of the pulley are negligible. The coefficients of friction between blocks 1 and 2 and between block 2 and the tabletop are nonzero and are given in the following table (coefficient between blocks 1 and 2 for static friction is u_s1, for kinetic it's u_k1, for coefficient between block 2 and tabletop, static friction coefficient is u_s2, for kinetic it's u_k2.

Basically, you're supposed to find the acceleration of block 1 and 2, assuming M is large enough that as the hanging block descends, block 1 is slipping on block 2. There are some other questions too.

This was a test question, and I got it right for the most part. One of the questions was whether or not there existed a friction force f_1 exerted on block 1 by block 2, and if so, in what direction. I said there would be one of magnitude m_1*g*u_s1, and that's what a lot of my classmates thought since that's how the teacher had taught us in a problem we did a few weeks ago. However, now she says there is no friction force. What's up?

By the way, does anyone know where I can get access to old AP Physics Mechanic tests, especially the free responses? They'd be a good help for me for preparing for tests in the future. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assuming your description of the problem is accurate, of course there's a friction force between the two blocks. But since you earlier said that block 1 is slipping on block 2, why did you use the coefficient of static friction?

4. Sep 26, 2006 #3
    Doc, the part I was referring to was a different section where M was small enough so that the blocks remain at rest when released. Sorry if that was unclear.

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Big difference. If the blocks don't move there will be no friction force between them. (Just like if you rest a book on a horizontal surface: What's the friction force on it? None. If you try to push it and it resists, then there's a friction force involved.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?