1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Three math courses 1 semester

Tags:
  1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I was thinking what I should take in the spring as a math major I was thinking of taking Abstract Algebra, Probability (calculus based), and geometry, as well as General physics 1, could anyone give me some advice is this a good idea or a bad idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you not have an academic advisor to ask this very question?

Zz.

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3
    Yes I do but she is never available.

5. Oct 1, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Go to your department office and request someone to talk to. Otherwise, inform the chair of the dept. that you are not getting the advice that you need.

Zz.

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please:
    1) List the contents of the courses
    2) List the knowledge you have
    3) List the workload you're used to.

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6
    1)probability course description
    An introduction to probability. Topics include mathematical models, sample spaces, conditional probability, discrete and continuous distributions, expected values, moment-generating functions, Central Limit Theorem, multivariate distributions, marginal distributions, conditional distributions, correlation, and one-variable transformations of variables.
    Abstract Algebra
    An introduction to groups, rings, integral domains and fields. Additional topics include groups of symmetries, rings of integers, rings of polynomials and construction of the field of rational numbers.
    Geometry
    Both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries are studied. Each geometry will be understood from three different perspectives: first, as the collection of theorems following from a particular set of axioms; second, as the two-dimensional geometry arising from a particular metric; and third, as the geometry obtained from a set together with a specific group of rigid motions of the set. At least one of these viewpoints will be developed in detail.
    2) Have taken Calculus 1-3,Number Theory,Discrete Math (intro proofs course),Linear Algebra
    3) I'm used to mostly taking two math courses per semester however I need to take more 300 level math courses and geometry I hear is supposed to be easy mostly math ed majors.

8. Oct 1, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How comfortable are you with proofs? Was the LA course proof based? How did you do with proofs in number theory and discrete math?

9. Oct 1, 2016 #8
    I did relatively well in the proofs in those courses I feel I'm comfortable with proofs. LA course was proofs based I did well in proofs in number theory and discrete math.

10. Oct 1, 2016 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then I think you'll do fine. One thing though is that you should figure out the level of the probability class. It is very possible to make probability theory very technical and proofy. This course would typically see probability theory in terms of measure theory. On the other hand, it might be that won't use any measure theory. If it doesn't, you should be ok. If it does, then you will want to take analysis first and it's not a good idea to take probability now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted