Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-phase current

1. Jul 11, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

first I have to say, that my mother tongue is not English. So I'm not very used to special English words that belong to physics. But I try to translate as well as you can understand what I mean. Therefore it would be helpful to me, if you wouldn't use any special acronyms in your answers.

My problem belongs to three-phase current.
    I want to calculate the result vector of a three-pase current system, that is used unsymetric. For example the first phase has 6A (Ampere), the second one has 5A and the third one 1A. Then I want to have the amount of current that is in the "null conductor" - the result current.
    So I know that this would be a simple addition of vectors, but I have trouble finding a good relation to calculate it.
    I already found a relation using trogonometric functions. That solution works fine, but it is very complicated.
    My result would be for this example: 4,58A

Is there any easy relation to get the result?

I hope you understand my problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted