1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-phase system analysis

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the following three phase system, calculate the current in the middle capacitor:

Aaa.jpg

2. Relevant equations

I = V/Z

ZY = ZΔ / 3

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello! I'm trying to figure out a method for solving any generic three phase system. In particular, I found very effective method the single phase analysis, by reducing generators and loads to star loads (if they are originally delta loads). I don't know if this can always be done, and I have some doubts about parallel loads.

As regards this particular system, I converted the delta load to a star load, so:

R2Y = R2Δ / 3

Capacitors are already disposed in a star load. So I consider the following single phase system:

(R2 and R1 are switched here, I apologise)
    BBB.jpg

Is that the right equivalent single phase system?
    If this is right, I would just need to calculate equivalent impedance, find the first phase current, and add -120° to find the middle one right?

If that is not right, where I mistakened? Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted