Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three phases generator

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    Dear all,
    please could you share with me your knowledge about three phases generator? I would like to know exactly how current flow back to generator. For example what is exact way of current from generator (1). What line is using as return path for it. And also do not know how it is possible that phasors I1 + I2 + I3 = 0.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2
    The center of your wye-connected system is typically grounded, in which case the return current would flow through the ground if there is a phase unbalance.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    Dear DR.D,
    as you wrote: this system is "typically" grounded. But which return path is using when it is not grounded? Thank you

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the absence of a return path (which is how a delta arrangement works) any impedance will result in a variation in the voltages in the three phases - the 'ground' will shift away from 0V. It's a bit harder to picture than the wye system.

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5
    sophiecentaur has given you the correct answer, including the part about "It is a bit harder to picture."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook