Solving for Velocity in a Three-Piece Explosion

• Thread starter ElectricMile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, a firecracker in a coconut caused the coconut to split into three pieces. Two pieces of equal mass were propelled south and west at a speed of 20 m/s. The third piece, which had twice the mass of the other two pieces, had a speed of 10 m/s in both the x and y directions. The specific masses of the pieces do not affect the final result, as the relationship between their speeds remains the same.
ElectricMile
A firecracker in a coconut blows the coconut into three pieces. Two pieces of equal mass fly off south and west, perpendicular to each other, at 20 m/s. The third piece has twice the mass as the other two.What is the speed of the third piece?

really boggled, no masses are given? i thought since the mass is double then the speed would be half of the speed of the 1st and 2nd pieces? anyone have an equation to help me out?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the momentums in the X and Y directions assuming the body is initially at rest:

[tex]\sum m_i v_i = 0[/tex] Here's the X direction (assuming east/west are the postive/negative x axis):

[tex] -20m + 2mv_x = 0[/tex]

and in the Y direction:

[tex] -20m + 2mv_y = 0[/tex]

It's easy to see what [tex]v_x[/tex] and [tex]v_y[/tex] are.

still don't understand, what do i put for the masses?

It doesn't matter what the masses are. The ratios are given. The masses will cancel out later once you have the relationship worked out.

so Vx = 10 and Vy = 10? after i solved in the equations

What is a Three Piece Explosion?

A Three Piece Explosion refers to an explosion that occurs when three separate pieces of material or substances are combined and react with each other, resulting in an explosion.

What causes a Three Piece Explosion?

The most common cause of a Three Piece Explosion is when three elements, such as oxygen, fuel, and heat, come together in the right proportions to create a chemical reaction that releases a large amount of energy in a short period of time.

What are the dangers of a Three Piece Explosion?

A Three Piece Explosion can be extremely dangerous, as it releases a large amount of energy in a short period of time. This can cause destruction to property and harm to living beings in the surrounding area. The explosion can also release toxic gases and debris, which can cause further harm.

How can a Three Piece Explosion be prevented?

To prevent a Three Piece Explosion, it is important to ensure that the three elements necessary for the explosion (oxygen, fuel, and heat) are not present in the same area at the same time. Proper storage and handling of potentially explosive materials is also crucial in preventing these types of explosions.

What should someone do in the event of a Three Piece Explosion?

In the event of a Three Piece Explosion, it is important to evacuate the area immediately and seek shelter in a safe location. Call emergency services for assistance and do not attempt to handle any potentially explosive materials on your own.