Tension in 3 Pulley System Homework

In summary: If one side of the string is attached to a ceiling and we just move M1 (so I think the same as what the second post said) wouldn't moving M1 some distance equal the distance M3 is lowered?If one side of the string is attached to a ceiling and we just move M1 (so I think the same as what the second post said) wouldn't moving M1 some distance equal the distance M3 is lowered?In summary, the tension in the rope is equal to the sum of the displacements of the three sliding blocks.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

(Kleppner & Kolenkow- An Introduction to Mechanics - 2.15)
The image shows the setup. The task is to find the tension in the rope. The coefficient of friction of the sliding blocks with the surface is [itex]\mu[/itex], and the string is of constant length.

Homework Equations

Newton's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is easy enough if the accelerations of the three blocks can be related. I argued that when the lower block moves down a distance x3, the pulley above it draws a string length equal to x3. Since the length is constant, the string length drawn must equal the distance moved by the sliding blocks, i.e.

x3=x1+x2

Differentiating twice with respect to time yields:

a3=a1+a2

However this relationship yields the wrong answer. Any pointers on the correct relationship?

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 588
Physics news on Phys.org
Think again about your proposition that [itex] x_{3} = x_{1} + x_{2}[/itex]. If you imagine for a moment that mass 1 is very big, it stands still, so only mass 2 moves. So if mass 2 moves for some distance l, how much does then mass 3 go up or down?

John is right

and i solved the question ... I'm getting a pretty weird answer. Is the answer looong?

You can write expressions for the acceleration of each block from the FBD of each, assuming some unknown tension T in the rope. Call them a1, a2, a3 for the masses M1, M2, M3.

You can also divide the rope into two sections: L1 from M1 to M3, and L2 from M2 to M3. The sum of these two sections will be constant.

Assuming accelerations a1, a2, and a3, you can write expressions for the lengths of L1 and L2 with respect to time in terms of those accelerations. As stated previously, their sum must be constant for all time...

cupid.callin said:
John is right

and i solved the question ... I'm getting a pretty weird answer. Is the answer looong?

What do you consider "looong"?

maybe ... more than 4 things i numerator/denominator ...:confused: :grumpy:

ok you got me ... i can't define it ... :cry:

lets wait for the question to be solved ... :biggrin:

EDIT: smileys look good ... i might use them more often now ...

Pi-Bond said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I argued that when the lower block moves down a distance x3, the pulley above it draws a string length equal to x3.

Are you sure? Is not it twice x3?

ehild

Well I get the right answer when the sum of the sliding block's displacements is equal to twice the third block's displacement, but I can't reason why!

Pi-Bond said:
Well I get the right answer when the sum of the sliding block's displacements is equal to twice the third block's displacement, but I can't reason why!

Suppose for the sake of argument that the magnitude of the acceleration of M1 is a1, M2 is a2, and M3 is a3.

If the initial length of the rope segment from M1 to M3 is L1o, what is an expression for the length of L1 as a function of time? Hint: it should depend only upon accelerations a1 and a3 and time.

Think: if you pull the lower block downward by x3, you pull the string at both sides of the pulley downward. So the hanging length of the string increases by 2x3, and this is equal to the sum of displacements of both sliding blocks.

ehild

How much rope is "used up" to move a sliding block 1 cm?

How much rope is "used up" to move the falling block 1 cm?

Ah ok - I get it now! The string gets pulled down on both sides of the hanging pulley for a unit displacement, which leads to the relation: 2a3=(a1+a2)

From application of Newton's second law to each mass, the relevant equations of this system are:

[itex]m_{1}a_{1}=T-\mu m_{1}g[/itex]
[itex]m_{2}a_{2}=T-\mu m_{2}g[/itex]
[itex]m_{3}a_{3}=m_{3}g-2T[/itex]
[itex]a_{3}=\frac{(a_{1}+a_{2})}{2}[/itex]

Simultaneous solution of these equations yields the correct value of Tension:

[itex]T=\frac {g(\mu + 1)} {2m_{3}^{-1} + (2m_{1})^{-1} + (2m_{2})^{-1}}[/itex]

Thanks a lot everyone for the insight!

Last edited:
Can you justify your fourth equation? It seems odd (to me) that the acceleration of M3 should be twice the sum of the others...

Ah sorry, it's a typo! I meant it to be half!

Pi-Bond said:
Ah sorry, it's a typo! I meant it to be half!

Half looks better :smile:

I'm currently working on this problem too and have run into the same problem but I can't understand why if the vertical displacement of M3 is twice the horizontal displacement of M1 and M2

If one side of the string is attached to a ceiling and we just move M1 (so I think the same as what the second post said) wouldn't moving M1 some distance equal the distance M3 is lowered?

autodidude said:
If one side of the string is attached to a ceiling and we just move M1 (so I think the same as what the second post said) wouldn't moving M1 some distance equal the distance M3 is lowered?

Consider a pulley and rope with one end of the rope secured to the ceiling and the other end is lowered by a distance L. This amount of rope, L, must equal the total of the amount of rope gained on each side of the pulley as it falls. Thus L = L/2 + L/2, and the pulley moves down by half the amount that the rope end was moved. Note that this also accounts for the mechanical advantage inherent in this setup -- the load (pulley) moves half the distance that the input moves.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54967&stc=1&d=1359043201.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 732
Thanks gneill! Makes sense now!

Delete.

1. What is a 3 pulley system?

A 3 pulley system is a mechanical system that uses three pulleys to redirect and multiply the applied force. It is commonly used in lifting heavy objects or changing the direction of movement.

2. How does tension work in a 3 pulley system?

In a 3 pulley system, the tension in the rope or cable is equal throughout the system. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, where the tension in the rope is the same at all points because the energy input and output must be the same.

3. What factors affect tension in a 3 pulley system?

The tension in a 3 pulley system is affected by the weight of the load being lifted, the angle of the ropes, and the friction between the ropes and the pulleys. Other factors such as the material and thickness of the ropes can also impact the tension.

4. How do you calculate tension in a 3 pulley system?

To calculate the tension in a 3 pulley system, you need to know the weight of the load being lifted and the angles of the ropes. The formula for calculating tension is T = (W / 2) / sin(θ), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the load, and θ is the angle of the rope.

5. What are some real-world applications of a 3 pulley system?

A 3 pulley system is commonly used in construction sites, elevators, and cranes to lift heavy objects. It is also used in rock climbing equipment, sailboats, and zip lines. Additionally, it can be found in various types of machinery and vehicles.