What is the acceleration of the mass if T1 is increased by 1.4 N?

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in three strings meeting in a knot and being pulled by three forces. It is held stationary and the tension in string 1 is 3N. The angles between strings 1 and 2 and strings 1 and 3 are given. The tensions in strings 2 and 3 are found to be 2.75N and 2.44N respectively. With a mass of 2kg on the knot supported by a frictionless table, the acceleration is found to be zero. When the tension in string 1 is increased by 1.4N, the question is how to find the acceleration. The conversation discusses two methods, decomposing the vectors or using the fact that
Naeem
Q.
Three strings, in the horizontal plane, meet in a knot and are pulled with three forces such that the knot is held stationary. The tension in string 1 is T1 = 3 N. The angle between strings 1 and 2 is q12 = 130° and the angle between strings 1 and 3 is q13 = 120° with string 3 below string 1 as shown.

a) Find the tension in string 2.

Ans. Decomposed the tensions into there x and y components and found the tension T2 as. 2.75 N, which is correct.

b) Find the tension in string 3.

Did the same as a) and found T3 to be 2.44 N which is correct again.

A mass of 2 kg is now placed on the knot and supported by a frictionless table in the plane of the strings.

c) Find the acceleration of the mass if all the forces remain the same as above.

Ans. The forces remain the same, so the acceleration must be zero, which is correct.

d) If the sizes and directions of T2 and T3 remain the same, but T1 is increased by 1.4 N, what is the acceleration of the mass?

Ans. Stuck on this part ! Help me on this one. , what does the question mean when it says T2 and T3 the sizes and directions remain the same, does it mean T2 and T3 have same magnitude, I know T1 is increased in part d, which means new T1 would be orignal T1 + 1.4N which is 3.4 N , now.

How to setup the eqns here. PLEASE HELP ME :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
d) If the sizes and directions of T2 and T3 remain the same, but T1 is increased by 1.4 N, what is the acceleration of the mass?

Ans. Stuck on this part ! Help me on this one. , what does the question mean when it says T2 and T3 the sizes and directions remain the same, does it mean T2 and T3 have same magnitude, I know T1 is increased in part d, which means new T1 would be orignal T1 + 1.4N which is 3.4 N , now.

The way I read it, it's like you had the equilibrium, and an additional 1.4N were added along the first string - as if someone's pulling a little harder on rope 1.

You can either decompose all of the vectors and directions and figure things out, or you can take advantage of the fact that you already know the previous net force was zero.

I went with the decomposition and did as follows:

Original T1 + New T1 = 3N + 1.4N = 4.4N ; T2 = 2.75 N and T3 = 2.44 N

so,

4.4N + T2cos (130 ) + T3 cos (120) = m * a ( along the x - direction )

4.4N + 2.75N * cos (130) + 2.44N cos (120 ) = 2 * a ( along the x - direction )

Tried to solve, for a and I got 0.71 m/s2, which in incorrect. Can somebody tell me if I am missing something.

or , if there is an alternate and a much shorter method, please let me know. the fact that you already know the previous net force was zero.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

Naeem

Yeah, I got it folks , problem with sig figs... answer is 0.70 m/s2..
Thanks anyway
!

1. What is "Three Pulling Strings" about?

"Three Pulling Strings" is a scientific concept that refers to the interplay between three forces that act on a system, resulting in a complex behavior that cannot be predicted by examining each force individually.

2. What are the three forces involved in "Three Pulling Strings"?

The three forces are typically referred to as A, B, and C. A represents the driving force, B represents the resisting force, and C represents the coupling force that connects A and B.

3. How does "Three Pulling Strings" apply to real-world systems?

"Three Pulling Strings" can be observed in various natural and man-made systems such as weather patterns, chemical reactions, and financial markets. It can help explain complex behaviors that cannot be explained by looking at individual forces.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding "Three Pulling Strings"?

Understanding "Three Pulling Strings" can help scientists and engineers better predict and control complex systems. It can also lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as meteorology and economics.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of "Three Pulling Strings"?

While "Three Pulling Strings" can provide valuable insights into complex systems, it is not a universal theory and may not apply to all situations. Furthermore, the interactions between the forces may be nonlinear, making it challenging to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system.