Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three species reversible reaction rate

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    The problem statement says to derive the concentration as a function of time for the general three species first order reactions. I have attached an image of the problem, so see the image for the reaction.

I have written the reaction rates for all the reactions but I am having trouble after that.

The reaction rates that I have are,

[itex]\frac{dCA}{dt}[/itex]=-k[itex]_{2}[/itex]C[itex]_{A}[/itex]+k[itex]_{2}[/itex]C[itex]_{Q}[/itex]-k[itex]_{3}[/itex]C[itex]_{A}[/itex]+k[itex]_{4}[/itex]C[itex]_{S}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dCQ}{dt}[/itex]=k[itex]_{1}[/itex]C[itex]_{A}[/itex]-k[itex]_{2}[/itex]C[itex]_{Q}[/itex]-k[itex]_{5}[/itex]C[itex]_{Q}[/itex]+k[itex]_{6}[/itex]C[itex]_{S}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dCS}{dt}[/itex]=k[itex]_{3}[/itex]C[itex]_{A}[/itex]-k[itex]_{4}[/itex]C[itex]_{S}[/itex]+k[itex]_{5}[/itex]C[itex]_{Q}[/itex]-k[itex]_{6}[/itex]C[itex]_{S}[/itex]

Where k1 and k2 are the forward and reverse rate coefficient for A[itex]\rightleftharpoons[/itex]Q reaction

k4 and k3 are the forward and reverse rate coefficient for A[itex]\rightleftharpoons[/itex]S reaction

and
    k5 and k6 are the forward and reverse rate coefficient for Q[itex]\rightleftharpoons[/itex]S reaction

from stoichiometry, I also know that C[itex]_{A}[/itex]+C[itex]_{Q}[/itex]+C[itex]_{S}[/itex]=C[itex]_{A0}[/itex]+C[itex]_{Q0}[/itex]+C[itex]_{S0}[/itex]=C[itex]_{T0}[/itex] where C[itex]_{T0}[/itex] is the total mols

Initial Conditions:
    C[itex]_{A}[/itex](t=0)=C[itex]_{A0}[/itex]
    C[itex]_{Q}[/itex](t=0)=C[itex]_{Q0}[/itex]
    C[itex]_{S}[/itex](t=0)=C[itex]_{S0}[/itex]

So I have three differential equations which I am having a hard time solving, If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted