How Do Velocity and Displacement Vectors Transform in Plane Polar Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity and displacement vectors, and their transformation properties in different coordinate systems. It is noted that velocity does not transform contravariantly or covariantly under transformation from Cartesian to plane polar coordinates, while the displacement vector transforms both contravariantly and covariantly. The concept of scalars is also mentioned, with an example of the scalar xy being invariant under coordinate rotation.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider the velocity vector [itex] v^i=\dot{x}^i \hat{e}_i [/itex].
We know that in the plane polar coordinates,it becomes [itex] \vec{v}=\dot{r}\hat{r}+r\dot{\theta}\hat{\theta} [/itex]
We also know that it is a contravariant vector so if we transform it covariantly from cartesian coordinates to plane polar coordinates,we should
get the second equation above from the first.

[itex]
v^1_{polar}=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \dot{x} + \frac{\partial r}{\partial y} \dot{y} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \dot{x}+
\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\dot{y}=\cos{\theta} ( \dot{r} \cos{\theta}-r \dot{\theta} \sin{\theta}) + \sin{\theta} ( \dot{r} \sin{\theta} +
r \dot{\theta} \cos{\theta}) = \dot{r} \cos^2{\theta} -r \dot{\theta} \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta} + \dot{r} \sin^2{\theta} + r \dot{\theta} \sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}=\dot{r}
[/itex]

Well,this has no problem

[itex]
v^2_{polar}=\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\dot{x}+\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} \dot{y}=-\frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \dot{x}+\frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \dot{y}=
-\frac{\sin{\theta}}{r} ( \dot{r} \cos{\theta}-r \dot{\theta} \sin{\theta})+\frac{\cos{\theta}}{r}( \dot{r} \sin{\theta} + r \dot{\theta} \cos{\theta})=
-\frac{\dot{r}}{r} \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta} + \dot{\theta} \sin^2{\theta} + \frac{\dot{r}}{r} \cos{\theta} \sin{\theta} + \dot{\theta} \cos^2{\theta}=\dot{\theta}
[/itex]

You see?!It lacks r !

It seeme that velocity does not transform contravariantly under transformation from cartesian coordinates to plane polar coordinates!
I don't mean it transforms covariantly because that one gives sth completely different.
So looks like velocity transforms not contravariantly NOR covariantly!

Now consider the displacement vector [itex] \vec{r}=x \hat{i} + y \hat{j} [/itex]
We know that its a contravariant vector,and we have seen the proof so I don't bother writing it.
But maybe someone bored,wants to have some fun and tries to transform it covariantly to plane polar coordinates(Well,that was not my reason)

[itex]
r^1_{polar}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} x + \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} y = \cos{\theta} x + \sin{\theta} y = r \cos^2{\theta} + r \sin^2{\theta} =r
[/itex]

[itex]
r^2_{polar}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} x + \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta} y = -r \sin{\theta} x + r \cos{\theta} y=-r^2 \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta} + r^2 \cos{\theta}\sin{\theta}=0
[/itex]

You see,it gives the same vector as the contravariant transformation does.Looks like displacement vector transforms contravariantly AND covariantly under transformation from
cartesian to plane polar coordinates.

Sorry to make it too long,but also consider[itex] \phi=xy [/itex]
It seems to be a scalar meaning if we rotate the coordinate system,It remains invariant and we get [itex] \phi'=x'y' [/itex] and [itex] \phi'=\phi [/itex]

[itex]
\phi'=x'y'=(x \cos{\psi} - y \sin{\psi})(x \sin{\psi} + y \cos{\psi} )=x^2 \sin{\psi} \cos{\psi} +xy \cos^2{\psi} - xy \sin^2{\psi} -y^2 \sin{\psi} \cos{\psi}=
(x^2-y^2)\sin{\psi}\cos{\psi}+xy(\cos^2{\psi}-\sin^2{\psi})
[/itex]

So it seems [itex] \phi'=\phi [/itex] only if [itex] \psi=k \pi [/itex] which suggests that [itex] \phi [/itex] is not a scalar.
So what is it?
Also I should say that [itex]\vec{\nabla} \phi [/itex] behaves like what I said about velocity vector!

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
[itex]
v^2_{polar}=\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\dot{x}+\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} \dot{y}[/itex]

Shouldn't that be
[itex]
v^2_{polar}=\frac{r\partial \theta}{\partial x}\dot{x}+\frac{r\partial \theta}{\partial y} \dot{y}[/itex]
?

As I remember the transformation law for contravariant vectors is as below:
[itex]
A'^i=\frac{\partial x'^i}{\partial x^j} A^j
[/itex]
I see no reason for putting that r!

Shyan said:
As I remember the transformation law for contravariant vectors is as below:
[itex]
A'^i=\frac{\partial x'^i}{\partial x^j} A^j
[/itex]
I see no reason for putting that r!

Dimensionally, v is L/T, yes? Without the r, the RHS has dimension 1/T.

I see,your right!
But what about the thing I said about [itex] \phi=xy [/itex]?
Thanks

I couldn't understand why you thought xy ought to be invariant under coordinate rotation.

Isn't xy,a scalar?
If it is,it should be invariant under rotations!

I think you're confusing two very different usages of the term scalar.
xy is a scalar mathematically, but not in the sense of a scalar physical attribute (such as distance between two points, mass, charge, value of a scalar field at a point...)

1. What are the three strange quantities?

The three strange quantities refer to the three fundamental constants in physics: the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and Planck's constant. These quantities are considered strange because they are universal and do not change regardless of the frame of reference.

2. Why are these quantities important?

These three strange quantities are crucial in understanding and describing the laws of physics. They are used in various equations and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, Newton's law of universal gravitation, and quantum mechanics.

3. How are these quantities measured?

The speed of light is measured using various techniques, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the use of lasers. The gravitational constant is measured through experiments involving masses and their gravitational forces. Planck's constant is determined through experiments involving the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can these quantities change over time?

According to current scientific understanding, these fundamental constants are considered to be unchanging. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that they may vary in different dimensions or universes.

5. Are there other strange quantities in physics?

Yes, there are other strange quantities in physics, such as the fine-structure constant, the proton-to-electron mass ratio, and the cosmological constant. These quantities also play important roles in understanding the laws of physics and the behavior of the universe.