What is the Threshold Energy of a Neutrino in the Centre of Mass Frame?

In summary: In the lab frame, the neutron's momentum is$$p = m_N \gamma v = m_N \cosh w$$and its energy is ##E = \sqrt{m_N^2 + p^2} = m_N \cosh w##. This agrees with e0 in the zero-momentum frame.
avkr
Capture.PNG

Homework Statement

Mass of neutrino = 0
Mass of proton/neutron = 1 GeV
Mass of tau = 2 GeV

Homework Equations

Energy of neutrino in lab = e
Energy of neutrino in CM = e0

The Attempt at a Solution

In the centre of mass frame, we will take the momentum of the neutron to be e0/c, c = speed of light.
CoE in CM: e0 + sqrt(m_n^2*c^4 + e0^2) = (m_p + m_tau)c^2
this gives e0 =1.33 GeV

therefore the velocity of CM in lab frame = (e0/c)/(m_v + m_n) = e0/(c*m_n) = 1.33c > c.

Cannot find where I'm doing the mistake!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 815
Physics news on Phys.org
avkr said:
Cannot find where I'm doing the mistake!
In the energy expression on the right you omitted the ##p^2c^2## term for the two particles. The fact that the sum of the momenta is zero in the CM frame does not necessarily mean that each momentum is zero.

I have included e0 as energy of neutrino whereas sqrt(m_n^2 c^4 + e0^2) contains the terms rest mass of neutron (m_n^2 c^4) and e0^2 is the (pc)^2 term ( p = e0/c, therefore (pc)^2 = e0^2).

avkr said:
View attachment 214254In the centre of mass frame, we will take the momentum of the neutron to be e0/c, c = speed of light.
CoE in CM: e0 + sqrt(m_n^2*c^4 + e0^2) = (m_p + m_tau)c^2

This is what I get.

avkr said:
therefore the velocity of CM in lab frame = (e0/c)/(m_v + m_n) = e0/(c*m_n) = 1.33c > c.

In the CoM frame, the spatial momentum of the neutron is not ##m_N v##. What is it?

For the relative speed between the two frames, I get
$$\frac{v}{c} = \tanh \left( \sinh^{-1} \left( \frac{e_0}{m_N} \right) \right) ,$$

but I don't think that you are expected to express it like this.

avkr said:
I have included e0 as energy of neutrino whereas sqrt(m_n^2 c^4 + e0^2) contains the terms rest mass of neutron (m_n^2 c^4) and e0^2 is the (pc)^2 term ( p = e0/c, therefore (pc)^2 = e0^2).
That's the left side of the equation and it is correct. In post #2 I am questioning the right side which should be ##\sqrt{m_p^2c^4 +p_{p}^2c^2}+\sqrt{m_{\tau}^2c^4 +p_{\tau}^2c^2}##. You have not conserved momentum in the CM frame.

On Edit: Sorry I missed the word "minimum" for the energy. I withdraw my objections.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
In the energy expression on the right you omitted the ##p^2c^2## term for the two particles. The fact that the sum of the momenta is zero in the CM frame does not necessarily mean that each momentum is zero.

In relativistic collision problems, "threshold" usually means that the product particles are all at rest in the zero momentum frame.

kuruman said:
That's the left side of the equation and it is correct. In post #2 I am questioning the right side which should be ##\sqrt{m_p^2c^4 +p_{p}^2c^2}+\sqrt{m_{\tau}^2c^4 +p_{\tau}^2c^2}##. You have not conserved momentum in the CM frame.
In the CM frame, the total momentum is zero by definition. You therefore have the total 4-momentum ##P = p_p + p_\tau = (E_{cm},0,0,0)##. It follows that
$$
s = P^2 = E_{cm}^2 = m_p^2 + m_\tau^2 + 2p_p \cdot p_\tau \geq m_p^2 + m_\tau^2 + 2m_p m_\tau = (m_p+m_\tau)^2.
$$
The threshold CM energy is given by the equality and corresponds to the proton and tau being at relative rest.

George Jones said:
In the CoM frame, the spatial momentum of the neutron is not ##m_N v##. What is it?

For the relative speed between the two frames, I get
$$\frac{v}{c} = \tanh \left( \sinh^{-1} \left( \frac{e_0}{m_N} \right) \right) ,$$

but I don't think that you are expected to express it like this.
You cannot express the relative velocity using only quantities from the CoM frame (and invariants like ##m_N##).

To OP: You do not need to compute the relative speed between the CM and lab frames to solve this problem. Are you familiar with the 4-vector formalism? I would then suggest working in terms of invariants. You can compute the invariants in whatever frame as they will take the same value in all frames.

avkr said:

You seem to be using ##v/c = p/mc##. This is not correct. The correct expression is ##v/c = pc/E##.

Orodruin said:
You cannot express the relative velocity using only quantities from the CoM frame (and invariants like ##m_N##).

The neutron is at rest in the lab frame, so its speed ##v## in the zero-momentum frame is the relative speed between the two frames. In the zero-momentum frame (with ##c = 1##), zero total spatial momentum (with zero mass for the neutrino) gives
$$e_0 = m_N \gamma v = m_N \sinh w$$
with ##v = \tanh w##.

Likes avkr
Ok, fine. But not the easiest way to express the relative velocity between the CM and lab frames with the information given in the problem (note that ##E_0## is not given, ##E_\nu## in the lab frame is the relevant quantity).

Edit: Also, there is no need to compute the relative speed of the CM frame and the lab frame.

Edit 2: I guess you can do it by computing ##E_0## at threshold and using the relative velocity between the frames to find ##E_\nu##, but this seems like the long way around when the computation using invariants is literally one line.

Edit 3: As expected, the two approaches give the same result. The big difference is the amount of algebra you have to do ...

Last edited:
Likes avkr
George Jones said:
The neutron is at rest in the lab frame, so its speed ##v## in the zero-momentum frame is the relative speed between the two frames. In the zero-momentum frame (with ##c = 1##), zero total spatial momentum (with zero mass for the neutrino) gives
$$e_0 = m_N \gamma v = m_N \sinh w$$
with ##v = \tanh w##.
Thanks for this!
Got my mistake.

1. What is the threshold energy of a neutrino?

The threshold energy of a neutrino is the minimum amount of energy that a neutrino needs to have in order to trigger a specific nuclear reaction. This energy is different for different types of neutrinos and is typically measured in electronvolts (eV).

2. Why is the threshold energy of neutrinos important?

The threshold energy of neutrinos is important because it determines whether or not a nuclear reaction can be triggered. If the energy of a neutrino is below the threshold, the reaction will not occur. Additionally, studying the threshold energy can provide insight into the properties and interactions of neutrinos.

3. How is the threshold energy of neutrinos determined?

The threshold energy of neutrinos is determined through experiments and theoretical calculations. Scientists use sophisticated detectors to measure the energy of neutrinos and observe nuclear reactions, and then compare these results with theoretical predictions to determine the threshold energy.

4. How does the threshold energy of neutrinos vary with different particles?

The threshold energy of neutrinos can vary depending on the type of neutrino and the type of nuclear reaction involved. For example, the threshold energy for a neutrino to trigger a specific reaction with a proton is different from the threshold energy for a neutrino to trigger a reaction with a neutron.

5. Can the threshold energy of neutrinos be changed or manipulated?

The threshold energy of neutrinos is a fundamental property and cannot be changed or manipulated. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying ways to detect and use neutrinos, which can lead to advancements in our understanding of their energy thresholds and potential applications.