1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Threshold energy of proton beam?

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to find the minimum energy for a proton beam to make pions that have 100Gev of momentum. The proton beam is hitting a fixed target.

2. Relevant equations

p + n -> n + n + ##π^{+}##

3. The attempt at a solution

In the centre of mass frame, there is zero initial momentum. But the pion has 100GeV of momentum on the other side, so I gave the neutrons the same amount in the opposite direction to cancel it out.

Then I used E=2m##c^2## for the initial energy and got the relativistic mass. (I wasn't sure about this)
    The velocity was very close to the speed of light, and I then used relativistic velocity addition to find gamma. (this is for the proton colliding with the neutron)

I had gamma ~ 9000
    In the end I had an answer of ##E_{proton beam}## ~ 8.5 TeV

Is this the right sort of value to be looking at? If necessary I can write up all my working.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Isn't the 100 GeV momentum of the pion measured in the lab frame? If so, that's not the momentum of the pion in the center-of-mass frame.

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3
    How can I find out what the momentum is in the CoM frame? Do I still need the CoM frame?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted