Threshold energy particle physics

In summary, the threshold energy for producing a top quark and an anti-top quark in a head-on collision between equal energy electrons and positrons can be determined using the invariant mass equation. This involves choosing a frame where the particles are at rest and solving for the total energy on both sides of the equation. The resulting equation can then be rearranged to substitute the masses of the top and anti-top quarks and the electron mass for M*, M, and m respectively. Understanding the derivation of this equation is important for accurately interpreting and using it in physics.
fabsuk
E(threshold enrgy) = M* − M(squared) −m(squared) divided by 2M

Determine the threshold energy for producing a top quark and an anti-top quark when beams
of electrons and positrons of equal energy are made to collide head on.

What do i sub in where and what do i with M*.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How is your M* defined? How is M and m defined?

There is no standard formula or standard notation for these things.

a particle of mass m collides with a stationary particle of mass M, the minimum
energy required to produce a state of mass M* is, in natural units,

So what do you think you should put in for M and m?

the mass of electron and positron but I don't know which one is stationary,

i.e don't know which corresponds to M and m.

M* must correspond to mass of top quark.

your formula is for stationary targets, but you have a head on collision. Now do you know any other ways to do this? Have you used invariant mass?

how would invariant mass equation help

does this website help:

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~rfield/PHY3063/images/Chapter2_9.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't learn physics by memorizing a formula, you must know how to derive things so that they fit your needs.

The web page you have linked to show you how to derive the Threshold energy using s, the invariant mass.

so we are in a centre of mass frame as the particles are both moving ( i am assuming my equation was for lab frame)

so we use a different equation right

are u saying the positron and electron have equal mass.
but then do we use the positron mass or the elctron mass.
If anybody has any ideas, help would really be appreciated.

you start with the invariant mass, and yes electron and positron has equal mass.

But the invariant mass if the total mass in the equation right
where would i subsitute it,

don't i just subsitute mass of top quark and anti top quark (dont i have had to add them together) for M*

and then substitute electron mass for both M and m.

sure but don't you want to understand WHY one does all this?

I would love to know but i never get a satisfactory answer .

In many areas of physics i don't completely understand so i end up instead of trying to understand,

I do pattern recognition. ( you can either blame teachers/books for using too much jargon)

Have i done it correctly,(would you add up masses of top and anti top quark)

use invariant mass:

Left hand side, the eletctron + positron:

we choose labframe; head on collision:

[tex]s = (\sum_i E_i)^2 - (\sum _i \vec{p}_i)^2 = 4E^2[/tex]

right hand side, we choose the frame where the particles are created at rest.

Now try

Are you trying to derive the equation i have already stated

or are we trying to rearrange the equation to put it in a way we like.

If one knows how to derive it one knows where to to put in the numbers.

1. What is threshold energy in particle physics?

In particle physics, threshold energy refers to the minimum amount of energy required for a collision between two particles to produce a new particle or set of particles. This energy is determined by the mass of the particles involved and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is threshold energy calculated?

The threshold energy for a specific collision can be calculated using the formula E = √(m1^2 + m2^2 + 2m1m2c^2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding particles and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account both the rest masses of the particles and their kinetic energies.

3. Why is threshold energy important in particle accelerators?

In particle accelerators, the goal is often to produce new particles by colliding two high energy particles. The threshold energy is important because if the colliding particles do not have enough energy, the collision will not produce the desired new particles. This means that in order to study certain particles or processes, the accelerator must be able to reach the necessary threshold energy.

4. How does threshold energy relate to the discovery of new particles?

Threshold energy plays a crucial role in the discovery of new particles. If scientists are able to reach a higher threshold energy in particle collisions, they may observe new particles that were previously undetected due to their mass being below the previous threshold energy. This has been a key factor in the discovery of many new particles in the field of particle physics.

5. Can threshold energy be manipulated or controlled?

In particle accelerators, scientists have some control over the threshold energy by adjusting the energy and trajectory of the colliding particles. However, the threshold energy is ultimately determined by the masses of the particles involved and the laws of physics, so it cannot be manipulated or controlled outside of these parameters.