1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Threshold frequency in light

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    the question is:

in a photoelectric effect, it is found that incident photons with energy 5.00 eV will produce electrons with a maximum kinetic energy 3.00 eV. What is the threshold frequency of this material?

the equation i have to work with is KE=hf-hf(sub t) and here the way to figure out threshold freq is to solve for f(sub t) with would equal

and KE would be found--i guess--by multiplying (3)(1.6e10^-19)

i did al that but i dont know what the 5.00 eV is and what the frequency is

thanks in advance
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What is the significance of the difference in energy between the incident photon and the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectron?

What is the relationship between photon energy and frequency?
  4. May 13, 2006 #3
    huh!? i hav no idea-:confused:
  5. May 13, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

When a photon is absorb by an electron, part of the energy goes to releasing the electron from its bound state, and the excess energy goes into the kinetic energy of the now photoelectron.

The energy of a photon, E is proportional to frequency of the photon. Hint - Planck's constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?