Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrill of the kill

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The woman who usually cuts my hair wasn't in today so I was scheduled for a cut with a beautiful young woman whom I had never seen before. We were exchanging the typical pleasantries when she mentioned that her fiancé is a cop. She told me a bit about his work and then asked if I had heard of the Jane Doe case [real name omitted here]. "No", I replied. She went on to tell me about a woman who had robbed several stores in the area. When the perpetrator was reported to be in a local park, the above-mentioned fiancé took the call. My beautiful young barber then went on to tell me how her fiancé approached the woman, who then began to raise her gun in a threatening manner. With her eyes glistening, and smiling from ear to ear, the barber said, "My fiancé took care of her". "He killed her?", I asked. With her face shining brightly and bearing her perfect pearly whites, she replied with great pride, "Yes, he did".

I nearly became ill. She wasn't just glad that her fiancé was alive and well. She didn’t express any emotion such as relief that her fiancé was alright, or that no one else was hurt. It was sickeningly clear that she got off on this – that she got some kind of personal thrill out of the whole business. I can only hope that as a public servant her fiancé is a bit less bloodthirsty, but then birds of a feather... As for the barber, I now see her as a repulsively ugly and pathetic little woman. It was all quite disturbing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    Telling a story like that to a stranger is just as pathetic as the person who raised a gun at the cop.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    Oh wow, I think I may even know which park that is...

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4
    back when the serial killer Ted Bundy was executed, a bunch of the local cops had a Bundycue feast down at the Golden Rule Barbecue to celebrate.

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5
    Maybe she was just starving for attention....I would hope that's not the way she would want to get it.

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6
    Don't get me wrong, I like guns. But when I hear people go on and on about guns as in: "yeah, this gun will go through three people and bla bla and tear your arm of if it hits you"...

I'm just like.......wow, you're a moron. Why do they let you own a gun.

8. Feb 28, 2009 #7
    Please do get me wrong, I will never understand how a human being with intelligence and feelings can claim to "like" guns. Would you like a guillotine ? The little I know you, I think you do have both intelligence and feelings. What's so great about a device the purpose of which is to take away life ? If it's about design and technology, then build nukes, they make much better shows.

So, where is the difference between this thrill to kill and the thrill for a device whose main purpose is to kill, or at the very least, threaten to kill ?

9. Feb 28, 2009 #8
    i don't care if you get me wrong, but i will never understand how otherwise intelligent, compassionate people cannot understand the importance of being able to defend oneself and one's family against predation.

10. Feb 28, 2009 #9
    It doesn't mean he plans on killing or harming anyone/thing. What's wrong with just owning a gun????

11. Feb 28, 2009 #10
    There is a difference between owing a gun and claiming to like guns. In the same manner, there is a difference between opposing to war before it is decided (trying to prevent death) and refusing to serve when it is happening (being a coward). I go to the dentist and I don't like receiving treatment for a cavity.

12. Mar 1, 2009 #11
    .......................um, okay.

13. Mar 1, 2009 #12
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9242/boathurricaneilikewhere.jpg [Broken]

guncontrol flamewar in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Mar 1, 2009 #13
    AHAHAHHAA! Steer LEFT!

15. Mar 1, 2009 #14
    It sounds like she has vanishingly little sense of ethics. Think twice before she gives you a shave.

16. Mar 1, 2009 #15
    what's not to like about a tool that protects you from predators?

17. Mar 1, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

There is a difference between enjoying marksmanship, etc, and owning guns for self-defense, and taking pleasure in the use of a gun to take the life of another. My wife and I live 'way out in the country, at least 20 minutes away from any 911 response (unless we got very lucky), so we own handguns for home defense. My wife is pretty darned good with the 9mm (P38) and I have a Glock Model 20 with several extra 15-round magazines, though that 10mm Auto is a handful for her. We engage in refreshers/target sessions regularly. Given the rising number of burglaries and home-invasion crimes in the last 5-10 years, it seems prudent to be able to defend ourselves instead of waiting from a response from a 911 call.

I would hate to have to kill another person. That's nothing compared to how bad I would feel if my wife were killed by some idiot looking for drugs or money, and I had not been able to stop them. Maine is very rural, and many home-invasion crimes are motivated by addictions to Oxycontin, etc, or the desire to get quick cash for meth. I am not paranoid or over-cautious - just realistic and hopeful that our trips to the sand-pit are just for fun and practice.

18. Mar 1, 2009 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stories such as Ivan's reinforce my belief that any one who WANTS to be a police officer should be automatically disqualified.

19. Mar 1, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I know and like quite a few law-enforcement officers (policemen, wardens, etc) and for the most part they are not only very decent people, but are respectful of the rights of others. There is little to no anonymity in rural areas for law-enforcement professionals, so they have to have the respect of the populace to survive. I wouldn't want their jobs! My cousin's husband retired as Chief of police after 20 years of service, and was given his 9mm Beretta by the town as a parting gift. Not a bad move - I couldn't think of a better man to be watching my back.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  20. Mar 1, 2009 #19
    If you are hiking in the wilderness and come across a mountain lion, the first thing they teach you is not to run. Mountain lions automatically categorize creatures into 2 groups: prey, and not-prey. If you run, the mountain lion's brain is conditioned to think you are prey and chase you, because that is how animals like deer react. On the other hand, if you move slowly and make yourself look big, you will get placed in the not-prey category along with bears, other mountain lions, etc, and the mountain lion will usually wander off.

Similarly, I have found that cops tend to subconsiously categorize people they meet as either criminal or not-criminal, and react accordingly. It's an automatic "us vs the bad guys" mentality. Through years of dealing with truly bad people under high stress, their mind has been warped to think this way. They probably don't even know they do it, but they do, just like the mountain lion. This is why you see all these outrageous videos of cops shooting an innocent man at a traffic stop, tazering a mentally ill man to death at the airport, or the recent one I just saw today of beating down a 15 year old girl. In all the cases the civilians accidentally did something to put them into the wrong category, and the cops instantly lumped them together with all criminals, just like the mountain lion who sees a man running and thinks it is a deer.

Since I realized this several years ago, my interactions with police officers I met, whether at a traffic stop, or on the street, or whatever, have been much better. The key is to be confident, pleasant, smile, and if possible preemptively ask them a disarming question. Don't allow yourself to get sucked into arguing with a cop, but also don't be meek (offering explanations for things when none are called for, giving underserved praise to the officer, saying thank you thank you sorry sorry, etc) as this will make you look defensive and weak and may be viewed suspiciously. In other words, give off all the signals that say "not criminal".

21. Mar 1, 2009 #20
    Sorry, but I like guns. To like guns doesn't mean killing things with them. I don't hunt anymore. I did when I was young but now I don't like killing anything other than flies and mosquitos. The only thing I kill with my guns now are beer cans and paper targets. Most men have a gene that disposes them to get off on explosions. I made a cannon once that made the most incredible explosion, it used about 2 cups of black powder. Every guy that was ever with me when I used it, well, was almost visibly excited if you know what I mean. It turned out to be a better rocket than a cannon. It was designed to shoot things but I ended up blowing it into the air. Much like the guys down south that blow anvils into the air. Mine would go up about 400 feet. (it was relatively safe too, 3/4" steel)

Just because something is designed to kill doesn't make it evil. Look at air races. Some pilots use the P-51 Mustang. That was designed for one thing only, to kill and destroy. Does that make it wrong to use it in an air race? What something is designed for and what it's used for are two different things. And if you use a guillotine to slice off the end of your cigar as some people and I do, than it's OK to like guillotines too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook