1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throwing a ball

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy throws a rock at speed v_0 at angle α from a balcony of height h. When the ball hits the ground, its velocity makes an angle θ with the ground. What is the minimum value of θ in terms of h and v_0

2. Relevant equations

basic kinematics equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I started out with the following:

[tex] v_x = v_0 \cos \alpha , v_y = \sqrt{v_0^2\sin^2 \alpha+2gh} [/tex]

Then:

[tex] f( \theta ) = \tan^{-1} (\frac{\sqrt{v_0^2 \sin^2 \alpha+2gh}}{v_0\cos\alpha} [/tex]

To find the minimum, you have to differentiate, although whenever I do this i get a HUGE expression which doesn't make sense. Any help?Thanks :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2
    When ## \theta ## is max, ## \tan \theta ## is max as well.

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3
    But we need to minimize theta?
    Can you please give another hint?

5. Sep 14, 2013 #4
    Ah, sorry. I really meant to say min, not max :)

6. Sep 14, 2013 #5
    Gotcha.

So am I correct in saying that after taking the tangent of both sides, the RHS equals zero? in which case :

[tex] v_0^2 \sin^2 \alpha = 2gh [/tex] ??

I attempted it again, however i cannot get rid of alpha here.

7. Sep 14, 2013 #6
    You need ## (\tan \theta)' = 0 ##.

8. Sep 14, 2013 #7
    I still don't get it. Why is that so? Thanks.

9. Sep 14, 2013 #8
    Let ## f(x) ## be a monotonic function. Let ## g(x) ## be any function. Consider ## F(x) = f(g(x)) ##. ## F'(x) = (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) g'(x) = 0 ##. Because ## f(x) ## is monotonic, ## f'(x) \ne 0 ##, thus the previous equation implies ## g'(x) = 0 ##, which means that if ## F(x) ## has a stationary point, ## g(x) ## has a stationary point there as well.

## \tan ## is monotonic from zero to ## \pi/2 ##.

10. Sep 14, 2013 #9
    So does this mean I have to differentiate [tex] \frac{\sqrt{v_0^2\sin^2\alpha + 2gh}}{v_0\cos\alpha}[/tex]?
    Also, what do i differentiate with respect to? And how do i get rid of alpha? sorry I'm very stuck on this

11. Sep 14, 2013 #10
    Since you are required to find that in terms of ##h## and ##v_0##, ##\alpha## has to disappear, which apparently means the minimum must be with respect to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted