1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throwing a rock

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I don't know much about classical physics, if I throw a rock or mass M upward with an initial velocity Z, with gravity g and air resistance A acting against it, is this equation the right one ;

[math]m\frac{dv}{dt} = (Z-g)m -Av[/math]

Then if I want to know the maximal height, I just need to integrate v(t) to find the distance at time t. Right ?

I'm really not sure about this equation, mostly because of the (Z-g) term. After all, it's about INITIAL velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to define what you mean by air resistance 'A', is this a force or a drag coefficent, is it a fucntion of V or a constant?
    Generally the equation you want is s = ut + 1/2 gt^2

See the formulae sticky thread for more equations.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    If you define air resistance to be a force proportional to the velocity

Then the forces on it as it's going up are mg down and Av down, so you get

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = -g - \frac{Av}{m}[/tex]

You then have to solve this differential equation for v(t), using v(0) = Z as a boundary condition. Then you have all the information you need about the rock's movement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?