1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throwing Dice

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [tex]S = \{(r,w)| r,w = 1,2,\ldots, 6\}[/tex]

Deduce the following three probability functions.

Probability that the number of eyes are red

(1)[tex]P_{R}(t) = \frac{1}{6}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Probability that the number of eyes are either red or white

(2)[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Probability that the number of eyes are either red and white

(3)[tex]P_{Z}(t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My Proof (1):

Since there is 6 sides on each dice the combined space [tex]S = 6 \cdot 6 = 36 [/tex] and since there is 6 sides on each sides of red dice, then

[tex]\frac{6}{36} = \frac{1}{6} = P_{R}(t)[/tex]

My Proof(2):

The Events of throwing the two dice are describe in the schema:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{|c| c| c| c| c| c| }
    \hline
    (1,1) & (1,2) & (1,3) & (1,4) & (1,5) & (1,6)\\
    \hline
    (2,1) & (2,2) & (2,3) & (2,4) & (2,5) & (2,6)\\
    \hline
    (3,1) & (3,2) & (3,3) & (3,4) & (3,5) & (3,6)\\
    \hline
    (4,1) & (4,2) & (4,3) & (4,4) & (4,5) & (4,6)\\
    \hline
    (5,1) & (5,2) & (5,3) & (5,4) & (5,5) & (5,6)\\
    \hline
    (6,1) & (6,2) & (5,3) & (5,4) & (6,5) & (6,6)\\
    \hline
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    Thus by in the schema:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc} P(x = 1) = \frac{11}{36} & P(x = 2) = \frac{9}{36} & P(x = 3) = \frac{7}{36}\\P(x = 4) = \frac{5}{36} & P(x = 5) = \frac{3}{36} & P(x = 6) = \frac{1}{36} \end{array}[/tex]

which can be describe by the function:

[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Proof(3)

Thus by in the schema:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc} P(x = 1) = \frac{1}{36} & P(x = 2) = \frac{3}{36} & P(x = 3) = \frac{5}{36}\\P(x = 4) = \frac{7}{36} & P(x = 5) = \frac{9}{36} & P(x = 6) = \frac{11}{36} \end{array}[/tex]

which can be describe by the function:

[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

What You Guys say I have deduced the probability functions correctly?? Am I on the right track??

SIncerely Yours
    Beowulf

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am totally baffled by this! What in the world does the probability of a die coming up a particular number, or anything you have done, have to do with "eyes" being red or white?
    Your definition of S says nothing about "eyes" and there is no mention of "eyes" in anything except the questions! What "eyes" are you talking about?

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    Hello Hallsoft:

Thank You for Your reply. I am sorry that the context of the problem was not clear.

Here is the problem in its full context:

Suppose we throw a red and white die simultaneously. The possible outcome of an experiment such as this can be recorded as follows:

[tex]S = \{r,w\}|r,w = 1,2,\ldots, 6\}[/tex]

where r is the number of eyes the die shows and w is the number of eyes that the white die shows.

R, Y, Z are random variables on the Space S and are defined as follows:

R(r,w) = r (number of eyes that the red dice shows)

Y(r,w) = [tex]r \wee w[/tex] (lowest number of eyes)

Z(r,w) = [tex]r \land w[/tex] (largest number of eyes).

What I am tasked with showing is that these random varibles can be expressed by probability functions below:

[tex]p_{R} (t) = p_{W}(t) = \frac{1}{6}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

[tex]p_{Y} (t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

[tex]p_{Y} (t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

This was what I am was trying to show in my orginal post. Does the assigment justify my atempted solution?

Thank You for Your answer in Advance.

Sincerely Yours
    Beowulf.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?