Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throwing relativity out the window

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    :surprisedOk, without criticism can we all just accept for argument sake a newtonian spacetime? That is - without relativity.

Ok, i'm going to try to describe something that I thought of a long time ago (considering time travel when I knew not of relativity).

If information travels through light, what things would happen if we travel faster than light? Will you be not seen by others while you are passing them? And they only see you after you have passed them?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

If you accept additionally an ether, all would be the way it is with sound. You will have cerenkov light even in vacuum.
  4. May 31, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the Relativity forum?!?
    sorry - gotta move this
  5. Jun 1, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry, I just can't believe the idea of dropping a scientific theory "for the sake of argument" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And then you talk about going faster than light, which can't be done according to relativity!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please. PLEASE PLEASE learn about relativity before you say such stupid things. What you just said might as well be
  6. Jun 1, 2005 #5

For the sake of argument lets analyze your knowledge of descriptive speech?

Is this information another form of LIGHT?..is it the Encyclopedia Galactica?

You would be travelling faster than the transportation medium (Light) that supports you, according to your first argument!

My argument is that you have the first four words the wrong way around, thus:You Will not be seen by others while you are passing them?

What information are they using to 'see' an after-event?..I mean you have said they have passed you by, which is a non-interacting scenario? :tongue2:

Dont worry though, Relativity invokes the reader to extend their imagination to extro-ordinary corners(see I to can mis-use words!) of their minds.

Enjoy to learn, that is all you can do :smile:
  7. Jun 1, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, Alkatran, he said "WITHOUT criticism".

How about a rephrase...?
    "What are the consequences of FTL travel in a purely Newtonian universe?" (e.g., light still travels at 186,000 miles per second but there's no ultimate speed limit...or time dilation...or length contraction...etc.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?