Calculating Work Done by Force of Gravity on a 0.245 kg Ball

In summary, the ball was thrown upward at 12.4 m/s and its potential energy was lost as it fell the final 2.2 m to the ground. This is the total work done by gravity.
alfredo24pr

Homework Statement

A 0.245 kg ball is thrown straight up from 2.20 m above the ground. Its initial vertical speed is 12.40 m/s. A short time later, it hits the ground. Calculate the total work done by the force of gravity during that time.

Homework Equations

1/2m(v initial)2 + mg(h initial) = 1/2m(v final)2 +mg(h final)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that y max equals v initial 2 /2g which is 7.84, but I do not know how to use the 2.2 which is the initial height

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump
help

A couple of ways to solve it I think, either
work = change in kinetic energy

or an easier way which is:
work = force x displacement (The displacement is 2.2m)

Last edited:
Mr.A.Gibson said:
A couple of ways to solve it I think, either
work = change in kinetic energy

or an easier way which is:
work = force x displacement (The displacement is 2.2m)

I have no idea how to find the force. F=ma
How do I get a?

alfredo24pr said:
I have no idea how to find the force. F=ma
How do I get a?

The force applied to the mass is gravity. Use F=ma, a is the acceleration due to gravity g=9.81m/s^2. Sometimes rounded to 10m/s^2

The displacement is 2.2m since this is the distance moved from start to finish.

Work = Mass x acceleration x displacement
= 0.245 x 9.81 x 2.2

Mr.A.Gibson said:
The force applied to the mass is gravity. Use F=ma, a is the acceleration due to gravity g=9.81m/s^2. Sometimes rounded to 10m/s^2

The displacement is 2.2m since this is the distance moved from start to finish.

Work = Mass x acceleration x displacement
= 0.245 x 9.81 x 2.2

That is mgh which is potential energy. The ball is thrown upward at 12.4 m/s

alfredo24pr said:
That is mgh which is potential energy. The ball is thrown upward at 12.4 m/s

You are correct gravitational potential energy GPE is another way of stating the work equation, i.e. they are the same.

The ball is throw upward at 12.4m/s, so if there is no air resistance then it will be traveling downwards past the same point also at -12.4m/s. So on the way up and the way down at this point the energy calculation is the same.
[tex]

E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + m g h

[/tex]

So the total workdone by gravity on the balls path up and down to the same point is zero. This is because it travels in the opposite direction with the same force acting on it.

So the only part we need to calculate is the potential energy lost as it falls the final 2.2m to the ground. This is the total work done by gravity.

Another way to approach it would be that we only look at the energy and the start when it is thrown and the energy at the end when it hits the ground. The energy transferred from GPE to KE in this situation is then the work done by gravity.

Hope this is clear

E= 1/2mv2 + mgh
E= 1/2 (0.245)(12.4)2 + 0.245*9.8*2.2
E= 18.8356 + 5.2822
E= 24.1178 J

but isn't that only the initial
I need Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
I have Ki + Ui = 24.1 J, what am i missing?

Even thought E1=E2 is correct it isn't the easiest way to solve this ,but delta k =W is a better way.
You should calculate the final velocity to get Kf and then get the work

madah12 said:
Even thought E1=E2 is correct it isn't the easiest way to solve this ,but delta k =W is a better way.
You should calculate the final velocity to get Kf and then get the work

How do I use the delta K way? please help.

BUMP
help meee!

double bump
HELP!

What is the formula for calculating work done by force of gravity on a 0.245 kg ball?

The formula for calculating work done by force of gravity is W = mgh, where W represents work, m represents the mass of the object, g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h represents the height the object is lifted or dropped.

What is the mass of the 0.245 kg ball?

The mass of the 0.245 kg ball is 0.245 kg. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains and is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2. This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

What is the height of the ball in the work done by force of gravity calculation?

The height in the work done by force of gravity calculation refers to the vertical distance the ball is lifted or dropped. It is typically measured in meters (m).

How do I calculate the work done by force of gravity on a 0.245 kg ball?

To calculate the work done by force of gravity on a 0.245 kg ball, you can use the formula W = mgh. Simply plug in the values for mass (m), acceleration due to gravity (g), and height (h) to find the work done in joules (J).