1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrown up

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    [Solved] Thrown up ...

I am stupid when it comes to Physics so please guide me :). I have 2 questions on a worksheet I got today and I am stuck.

Is it b? .. (30 m/s) / 9.8 m/s^2 = 3.06s ... 30 x 1/2(3.06) = 46m?

Is it b? .. Vi = Vf - a*1/2(t) ... Vi = 0, Vf = 0, a = 9.8, t = 1/2(10) = 5 ... Vi = 0 - 9.8*1/2(10) ... 25m?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The first answer looks to be correct (not sure what the 2nd part is you used to find it), but I get something different on your second question.

"Vi = Vf - a*1/2(t)"

Are you sure there's a 1/2 there? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematic

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Hmm your right, so it should be d) 98 m/s I am assuming ?

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does the final velocity at the end of 10 seconds compare to the initial velocity?

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    I was told in school that when something is thrown up ... the speed it went up, will be the same speed coming down. The bullet is going to return to it's start point it states, thus making its final velocity 0m/s ? so ... If I just plug the numbers into Vi = Vf - at I get 98m/s, so I will go with that and see what it says when I get the assignment back.

Thanks for the help guys :)

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your statement is contradictory. The speed is the same when it gets back to the starting point that it had when thrown. That is not zero. If it were zero, it would never have gone up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?