Thru the eyes of a child - seeing the truth.

• News
  • Thread starter amp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, the conversation is discussing an article written by a 12 year old about the invasion of Iraq and comparing it to a hypothetical scenario in which a more powerful country invades the US. The conversation also debates the merits of the comparison and questions the authenticity of the article's authorship. There is also discussion about the actions of the US government and the perspective of those being occupied.
amp
Physics news on Phys.org
While the article draws the same parallels as many on this board have, it makes the same mistake: It compares an elected, limited government being overturned with that of a dictator whose reign was endless (via his heirs). Apples to Oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, She merely discribes what is happening as though it wasn't Iraq but The U.S.

And just before she was born, Saddam killed a few thousand like her

And saying that Saddam was bad doesn't give anyone else a free pass, which sems to be the sentiment in this thread...being less horrible than the worst you can think of doesn't define actions as "ok".

phatmonky's right. It's not a good comparison. It also repeats things in a negative fashion in order to draw up emotions.

Also, can you say that we stole their natural resources? Do foreign companies now own the oil supply?

amp said:
No, She merely discribes what is happening as though it wasn't Iraq but The U.S.

Do I need to spell it out?
The comparison of the US's invasion, tot he same invasion happening to the US IS the comparison of "It compares an elected, limited government being overturned with that of a dictator whose reign was endless (via his heirs). "Apples to Oranges"

Misinformed, but well written. The president's efforts in improving our schools is starting to pay off.

I can't believe it was written by an 11yr old, where is the proof?

A 12 year old and the point is forgeting who's in charge of the government. A country invades you ... The question that's in the spotlight.

Suppose a more powerful country existed. Suppose it attacked us, bombed us, killed and mutilated members of your family, irradiated most of the country, invaded us, stole our country’s treasures and its natural resources, set up a militarily-enforced government with members of its choosing to govern us, closed newspapers, continued to occupy this country with armed soldiers and mercenaries, and continued to kill civilians frequently. How would you feel about those occupying your country?”

amp said:
A country invades you ... The question that's in the spotlight.
Quote:
Suppose a more powerful country existed. Suppose it attacked us, bombed us, killed and mutilated members of your family, irradiated most of the country, invaded us, stole our country’s treasures and its natural resources, set up a militarily-enforced government with members of its choosing to govern us, closed newspapers, continued to occupy this country with armed soldiers and mercenaries, and continued to kill civilians frequently. How would you feel about those occupying your country?”

And my anwer is:

If my country were ruled by an opressive monarch with absolute power who was murdering my people and mutilating my familly members by the hundreds of thousands, killing civillians far more frequently, and robbing me of any and all opportunity to benifit from his natural resources, and those occupying my country were there to throw him out and replace him with a government in which I have a voice and the chance to participate in the choosing of my leaders and their policies, I'd probably feel like this ! :biggrin:

Looking a the pics of those prisoners who were degraded would you feel the same knowing your occupiers did that.

LURCH said:
Quote:

And my anwer is:

If my country were ruled by an opressive monarch with absolute power who was murdering my people and mutilating my familly members by the hundreds of thousands, killing civillians far more frequently, and robbing me of any and all opportunity to benifit from his natural resources, and those occupying my country were there to throw him out and replace him with a government in which I have a voice and the chance to participate in the choosing of my leaders and their policies, I'd probably feel like this ! :biggrin:
Well put.

As Adam would point out - the little girl's argument, while well written, is a strawman.

edit: I must admit to not having read the article until just now. The article is reasonably well written, but the poll question is not (not just talking about how loaded it is, I mean grammar). I have a hard time believing a 11/12 year old wrote this.

In any case, its a good study into how not to structure a poll. If the answers are unanamous (to within the margin for error), then the poll is utterly useless.

Last edited:
Actually the section quoted is not a straw man.

LURCH said:
And my anwer is:

I doubt it...because of course the invaders claim that they are helping, but what is going to be at the forefront of your mind is that your friends and family have been killed by the invaders.

Hell, the communists claimed that they were only trying to spread world peace too...you didn't just take their word for it, though, did you?

Understanding it doesn't make it right. You can understand someone is outraged at someone else, and kills him. In the western world this person will be jailed for a long time. You don't set him free because you understand his anger. If you have a problem with this system than you should move to Iran.

Last edited:

1. What is "Thru the eyes of a child - seeing the truth?"

"Thru the eyes of a child - seeing the truth" is a phrase that describes the act of viewing the world through the perspective of a child. It encourages individuals to see things from a different, more innocent and unbiased point of view.

2. Why is it important to see the truth through a child's perspective?

It is important to see the truth through a child's perspective because children have a unique way of viewing the world without any preconceived notions or biases. This allows us to see things in a new light and gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.

3. How can seeing the truth through a child's eyes benefit us?

Seeing the truth through a child's eyes can benefit us in many ways. It can help us develop empathy, creativity, and a deeper appreciation for the simple things in life. It can also help us let go of our own biases and see things from a more objective point of view.

4. Is it possible for adults to see the world as children do?

While it may be difficult for adults to fully see the world as children do, it is not impossible. By actively trying to shift our perspective and approach situations with a childlike curiosity and openness, we can begin to see things in a new light.

5. How can we incorporate this concept into our daily lives?

We can incorporate the concept of seeing the truth through a child's eyes into our daily lives by actively seeking out new perspectives and being open to different viewpoints. We can also spend time with children and observe how they interact with the world, allowing us to learn from their innocent and unbiased outlook.