Calculating Thrust of a Rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the speed, thrust, and reaction force of a pressurized gas exiting a tube, as well as the speed and filling rate of outside gas entering the tube. It is mentioned that the force can be approximated using the pressure force equation and that Bernoulli's equation can be used to account for the momentum of the affected air. It is also noted that the pressure at the open end of the tube may not be ambient due to the momentum of the air.
Edi
I am usually bad with calculations, so please help me out.
It's not a homework, merely my interest...

So, let's say I have a tube with some air pressure in it and I open up one end of the tube so the pressurised gas exits it in one direction... (basically a rocket)
Pretty simple, huh? :D

But what I want to know is how to calculate the speed of the gas exiting, the thrust, the reaction force etc.
And while we are at it, what if the pressure in the tube is lower than outside, what speed will the outside gas enter the tube, how fast it will fill depending on the size, etc?

Please forgive me asking for such relatively simple calculations. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
The force can roughly be approximated to just be the pressure force which is simply

[tex]\frac{P_{gage}}{Area} = Force[/tex] where the gage pressure is the difference of the pressures in the tube and of the atmosphere.

Once you know that F = [tex]\beta \rho A V_{avg}^2[/tex]

Where rho is the density, a is area, v is velocity and beta is some correction factor (probably fairly small to the point where it could be negligible)

Same equations apply regardless of if the pressure difference is negative or positive.

You can use bernoulli's equation for this: assume all of your static pressure is converted to velocity pressure.

One issue is that the pressure at the open end of the tube would not be ambient due to momentum of the affected air, both inside and outside the tube. Note that rockets generrate more thrust in space than they do in the atmosphere because the momentum of the air reduces the effective exhaust velocity component of thrust.

What is the formula for calculating the thrust of a rocket?

The formula for calculating the thrust of a rocket is T = m x a, where T represents thrust, m represents the mass flow rate of propellant, and a represents the acceleration of the rocket.

What factors affect the thrust of a rocket?

The thrust of a rocket is affected by several factors, including the mass flow rate of propellant, the velocity of the exhaust gases, and the design and efficiency of the rocket engine.

How do you convert engine thrust to pounds?

To convert engine thrust to pounds, you can use the formula 1 pound of thrust = 4.44822 newtons. Simply multiply the engine thrust in newtons by 0.22481 to convert it to pounds.

How does the altitude affect the thrust of a rocket?

As a rocket gains altitude, the atmospheric pressure decreases, which means there is less air for the rocket to push against. This results in a decrease in thrust, as the rocket engine is not able to expel as much exhaust gas.

What is specific impulse and how does it relate to rocket thrust?

Specific impulse is a measure of the efficiency of a rocket engine. It is defined as the thrust produced by an engine per unit of propellant consumed. A higher specific impulse indicates a more efficient engine, which in turn results in a higher thrust for the same amount of propellant.