1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrust chamber velocity

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    Hello.

I am trying to find the thrust chamber flow velocity for a rocket engine, but no literature seems to be able to come up with a solution for this. The best I have found is "Rocket Propulsion Elements" which states that the value probably lies somewhere between 200-400 ft/sec.

But in my tests, I come up with something more along the lines of 1500 ft/sec for the Saturn V F-1 engine. This is either wrong, or the range of 200-400 ft/sec is unreliable. I think my result is wrong because it should be a LOT slower than the approximate Mach 1 at the throat.

The reason I am fixated on this chamber flow velocity is that it seems to be my only ticket to getting the thrust chamber radius (and from that and other data, chamber cylinder length). I have tried the chamber length approximation (for the cylindrical portion) of Lc = EXP(.029LN(Dt)^2 + .47LN(Dt) + 1.94), in (cm), (from http://www.braeunig.us/space/propuls.htm), but this only seems to work well for large engines. When I tried it for a small, Apollo SM/LM R-4D thruster, it was way too large (not even in the ball park, really).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2
    ANY thruster-heads out there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook