What is the flow velocity of a rocket engine's thrust chamber?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the thrust chamber flow velocity for a rocket engine. The literature suggests a range of 200-400 ft/sec, but the speaker's test results show a much higher velocity of 1500 ft/sec for the Saturn V F-1 engine. The speaker is unsure if their result is correct and is fixated on this velocity because it will help determine the thrust chamber radius and cylinder length. They have also tried a chamber length approximation from a website, but it only works well for larger engines. The speaker is seeking advice from anyone knowledgeable about thrusters.
treddie
Hello.

I am trying to find the thrust chamber flow velocity for a rocket engine, but no literature seems to be able to come up with a solution for this. The best I have found is "Rocket Propulsion Elements" which states that the value probably lies somewhere between 200-400 ft/sec.

But in my tests, I come up with something more along the lines of 1500 ft/sec for the Saturn V F-1 engine. This is either wrong, or the range of 200-400 ft/sec is unreliable. I think my result is wrong because it should be a LOT slower than the approximate Mach 1 at the throat.

The reason I am fixated on this chamber flow velocity is that it seems to be my only ticket to getting the thrust chamber radius (and from that and other data, chamber cylinder length). I have tried the chamber length approximation (for the cylindrical portion) of Lc = EXP(.029LN(Dt)^2 + .47LN(Dt) + 1.94), in (cm), (from http://www.braeunig.us/space/propuls.htm), but this only seems to work well for large engines. When I tried it for a small, Apollo SM/LM R-4D thruster, it was way too large (not even in the ball park, really).

Engineering news on Phys.org
ANY thruster-heads out there?

1. What is a thrust chamber velocity?

A thrust chamber velocity is the speed of the hot gases exiting the nozzle of a rocket engine. It is a crucial factor in determining the thrust, or force, produced by the engine.

2. How is thrust chamber velocity calculated?

Thrust chamber velocity is calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the propellant, the exhaust gas velocity, and the change in velocity of the rocket. It can also be calculated using the specific impulse of the propellant and the gravitational constant.

3. What factors affect the thrust chamber velocity?

The main factors that affect thrust chamber velocity are the type of propellant used, the design and size of the nozzle, and the ambient pressure and temperature of the environment. Other factors such as combustion efficiency and nozzle erosion can also have an impact.

4. Why is thrust chamber velocity important in rocket design?

Thrust chamber velocity is a critical parameter in rocket design because it directly affects the amount of thrust that can be produced by the engine. A higher thrust chamber velocity means a greater thrust and thus a more powerful rocket. It is also important in determining the overall efficiency and performance of the rocket.

5. How does thrust chamber velocity impact space travel?

Thrust chamber velocity plays a crucial role in space travel as it determines the amount of thrust that can be produced by a rocket engine. This thrust is necessary for overcoming Earth's gravity and achieving orbit, as well as for making course corrections and performing maneuvers in space. A higher thrust chamber velocity can also lead to faster and more efficient space travel.