1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrust created

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    The burned gases of a rocket engine are ejected from the rocket nozzle at a speed of 17,000 ft/sec. If the weight of gas ejected is one pound per second, find the thrust developed by the rocket.

I don't really have an equation to use here but my guess is F = M\32.2 * Ejection Velocity

F in lbs. = [ 1 lb / 32.2] * 17,000 = 527 lbs of thrust

Anyone care to verify that this is correctly calculated or have any ideas on a different calcualtion?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Analysis of units does not support your approach. Also 32.2 ft/s2 is the terrestrial acceleration due to gravity. The rocket could be anywhere-- interstellar space or the moon. Thrust is a function of the rocket, not gravity.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Thrust=dm/dt*Vel

Your work looks correct to me. 1 lbf=32.4 Lbm*ft/Sec2
    The units of thrust is lbf

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4

lewando

Gold Member

This part got me-- "the weight of gas ejected is one pound per second". I read this as a dm/dt of 1lbf/s. If this is read as 1lbm/s then things to fall into place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook