1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrust & Net Work

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    A plane is diving toward the ground and then climbs back upwards as shown below. A lift force acts perpendicular to the plane's displacement, s = 1.7 x 10[tex]^{3}[/tex] m, which should be taken to be the same for each case. The engines of the plane exert a thrust as shown which has the same magnitude during the dive and climb. The plane's weight is 5.9 x 10[tex]^{4}[/tex] N.

A) Is the total net work done by all the forces greater during the dive or the climb? Explain your answer.

B) Find the difference in the total net work done between the dive and the climb.

A picture of the situation is attached.

I am not sure how to start this problem. Should I break my force of gravity into components?

I have an exam tomorrow, so if this can be answered soon it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I believe that you should break it into components, one should act in the opposite to the lift while the other acts opposite to the thrust

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?