Thrust (pitching and plunging)

• Thread starter hmd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, The OP is asking how thrust occurs in pitching and plunging motions, and he does not seem to have a clear understanding of what the terms mean. Some people answering this thread are guessing that he meant "lift" instead of "thrust". Even in this case, the pitch of an aircraft if moving in a straight line (either climbing upwards or descending downwards), won't have a direct effect on the "lift" produced by the wings. Therefore, the OP would need to post more information about his project to get help from the community.
hmd
Hello,
i am wondering a situation; how does the thrust occur in pitching and plunging motions?

thank you for reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is a little vague. Can you be more specific?

Likes 1 person
Dear SteamKing,

ımm, how i can explain.. my supervisor asked me this question: " how could you ensure 'thrust' in plunging and pitching motions?" ...i investigated but i cannot find proper answer..

Are you asking "How can you ensure an airfoil will produce thrust when it is pitching and plunging?"

hmd said:
Hello,
i am wondering a situation; how does the thrust occur in pitching and plunging motions?

thank you for reply.

hmd said:
Dear SteamKing,

ımm, how i can explain.. my supervisor asked me this question: " how could you ensure 'thrust' in plunging and pitching motions?" ...i investigated but i cannot find proper answer..

Welcome to the PF.

Is this for research or a class at your university? I see that you have another thread asking about wind tunnel design. What year are you in school? What is your aeronautics training so far?

RandomGuy88 said:
Are you asking "How can you ensure an airfoil will produce thrust when it is pitching and plunging?"

Yes RandomGuy88 that is the true question ;), and so what is the answer, could you help me?

hmd said:
Yes RandomGuy88 that is the true question ;), and so what is the answer, could you help me?

You need to answer my questions before RandomGuy88 can answer your questions.

berkeman said:
You need to answer my questions before RandomGuy88 can answer your questions.

Dear Berkeman,
I am a master degree student in mechanical engineering department, this is my term project.

"Thrust" normally means the force produced by a propeller or jet engine accelerating the air. It wouldn't matter if the air craft is pitching or plunging.

Some people answering this thread are guessing that you meant "lift" instead of "thrust". Even in this case, the pitch of an aircraft if moving in a straight line (either climbing upwards or descending downwards), won't have a direct effect on the "lift" produced by the wings.

Perhaps you are using the terms "pitching" and "plunging" to refer to the angle of attack of the wing?

That is typically what pitching and plunging means in the context of an airfoil. Essentially, the wing is flapping, like a bird's wing or a fish's tail. I think most people above understand that is what the OP is talking about, but not exactly what he wants to know about it. It is also unclear if we ought to be helping him with a school project without any hint that he has actually done any work on the topic already.

hmd said:
Dear Berkeman,
I am a master degree student in mechanical engineering department, this is my term project.

According to the PF Rules (see Site Info at the top of the page), undergraduate schoolwork problems/projects need to be posted in the Homework Help forums, and students need to show their work toward the solution.

For graduate school problems and projects, they may be posted in the general PF technical forums (like here in the Aero forum), but only if the student shows *lots* of their work toward the solution. We do not do your schoolwork projects for you here, but we certainly can help if you show lots of your own research and work.

Please post your work so far, so that this thread can go forward.

What is thrust in pitching and plunging?

Thrust in pitching and plunging refers to the force generated by an aircraft's engine that propels it forward or upward. It is a critical component of flight and is necessary for an aircraft to maintain its speed and altitude.

How is thrust created in an aircraft?

Thrust is created in an aircraft by the engine, which uses fuel to produce hot gases that are then expelled at high speeds through the back of the engine. This action creates a reaction force in the opposite direction, propelling the aircraft forward or upward.

What factors affect thrust?

There are several factors that can affect thrust, including the type and size of the engine, the amount of fuel being burned, the altitude and air density, and the angle of attack of the aircraft. These factors can impact the amount of thrust generated by the engine.

How is thrust measured?

Thrust is typically measured in pounds (lbs) or newtons (N) and is quantified using a thrust meter or a device called a thrust dynamometer. These tools can accurately measure the amount of thrust being produced by an aircraft's engine.

What is the relationship between thrust and speed?

Thrust and speed have a direct relationship, meaning that as thrust increases, speed also increases. This is because the force generated by thrust is what propels the aircraft forward, allowing it to travel at higher speeds. Inversely, if thrust decreases, speed will also decrease.