Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thrust (pitching and plunging)

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1

hmd

Hello,
    i am wondering a situation; how does the thrust occur in pitching and plunging motions?

thank you for reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question is a little vague. Can you be more specific?

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3

hmd

Dear SteamKing,

ımm, how i can explain.. my supervisor asked me this question: " how could you ensure 'thrust' in plunging and pitching motions?" ...i investigated but i cannot find proper answer..

5. Mar 19, 2014 #4
    Are you asking "How can you ensure an airfoil will produce thrust when it is pitching and plunging?"

6. Mar 19, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Is this for research or a class at your university? I see that you have another thread asking about wind tunnel design. What year are you in school? What is your aeronautics training so far?

7. Mar 19, 2014 #6

hmd

Yes RandomGuy88 that is the true question ;), and so what is the answer, could you help me?

8. Mar 19, 2014 #7

berkeman

You need to answer my questions before RandomGuy88 can answer your questions.

9. Mar 19, 2014 #8

hmd

Dear Berkeman,
    I am a master degree student in mechanical engineering department, this is my term project.

10. Mar 20, 2014 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

"Thrust" normally means the force produced by a propeller or jet engine accelerating the air. It wouldn't matter if the air craft is pitching or plunging.

Some people answering this thread are guessing that you meant "lift" instead of "thrust". Even in this case, the pitch of an aircraft if moving in a straight line (either climbing upwards or descending downwards), won't have a direct effect on the "lift" produced by the wings.

Perhaps you are using the terms "pitching" and "plunging" to refer to the angle of attack of the wing?

11. Mar 20, 2014 #10

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is typically what pitching and plunging means in the context of an airfoil. Essentially, the wing is flapping, like a bird's wing or a fish's tail. I think most people above understand that is what the OP is talking about, but not exactly what he wants to know about it. It is also unclear if we ought to be helping him with a school project without any hint that he has actually done any work on the topic already.

12. Mar 20, 2014 #11

berkeman

According to the PF Rules (see Site Info at the top of the page), undergraduate schoolwork problems/projects need to be posted in the Homework Help forums, and students need to show their work toward the solution.

For graduate school problems and projects, they may be posted in the general PF technical forums (like here in the Aero forum), but only if the student shows *lots* of their work toward the solution. We do not do your schoolwork projects for you here, but we certainly can help if you show lots of your own research and work.

Please post your work so far, so that this thread can go forward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook