1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thrust Question

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The task is to design a matlab program reminiscent of the text-based lunar lander games. Ol, that's not that bad. My problem comes from the research, specifically determining what thrust will be provided from what rate of fuel burned. I know that thrust=(dm/dt)v where v is the relative velocity of the exhaust. I know the max thrust the lunar lander was capable of was 44.4 kN and the min was 4.7 kN. I know the lander had 8165 kg of N204/Aerozine-50 as fuel. Does anyone have any idea what v is or how I can find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Several sources specifies the specific impulse to 311 sec which gives an exhaust speed of around 3050 m/s.

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3
    Thank you so much. Do you think you could post a link to one of these sources? Normally I'm capable when using the google; I don't know why this information has been so difficult for me to find.

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook