Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thrust Question

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The task is to design a matlab program reminiscent of the text-based lunar lander games. Ol, that's not that bad. My problem comes from the research, specifically determining what thrust will be provided from what rate of fuel burned. I know that thrust=(dm/dt)v where v is the relative velocity of the exhaust. I know the max thrust the lunar lander was capable of was 44.4 kN and the min was 4.7 kN. I know the lander had 8165 kg of N204/Aerozine-50 as fuel. Does anyone have any idea what v is or how I can find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Several sources specifies the specific impulse to 311 sec which gives an exhaust speed of around 3050 m/s.

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3
    Thank you so much. Do you think you could post a link to one of these sources? Normally I'm capable when using the google; I don't know why this information has been so difficult for me to find.

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook