Calculate Mass Exhausted Per Second from Space Shuttle Thrust

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, the space shuttle's engines produce a thrust of 3.0 * 10^7 N and exhaust a mass of 2000kg per second, with a velocity of 15 km/s. The calculation is based on the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The final answer is determined using the formula m=F*delta t/delta v.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At launch, the space shuttle’s engines develop 3.0 * 10^7 N of thrust. If the speed of the exhaust gasses is 15 km/s, what mass of gas is exhausted per second?

[tex]
F=ma\Rightarrow m=\frac{F}{a}
[/tex]

[tex]
kg=\frac{kg\cdot m/s^2}{m/s^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
kg=\frac{kg\cdot m/s^{\rlap{--} {2}}}{m/s^{\rlap{--} {2}}}\Rightarrow
m=\frac{3.0\cdot 10^7kg\cdot \rlap{--} {m}/\rlap{--} {s}}{15(\rlap{--}
{k}\rlap{--} {m}/\rlap{--} {s})\ast 1000\rlap{--} {m}/\rlap{--} {k}\rlap{--}
{m}}
[/tex]

[tex]
m=2000kg
[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to cancel out the squared part of s squared, and still associate the 3.0e7 N with units that no longer represent it. Is my answer even correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] F=\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} =v\frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t} [/tex]

That "Delta t" is obviously 1sec,since we're asked the flow in one second...

Therefore the mass exhausted in one second is:

[tex] \Delta m=\frac{F}{\frac{v}{\Delta t}}=... [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.That force corresponds to a loss in momentum in unit time.

Last edited:
[tex] m=\frac{F}{\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}}=... [/tex]
so...

[tex]m=F\frac{\Delta t}{\Delta v}[/tex]

[tex]m=3*10^7kg(m/s^2)\frac{1s}{15000m/s}[/tex]

[tex]m=2000 kg[/tex]

Amazing I came up with the right answer anyway, because I think I could have been called for illegal use of units. Your way is more elegant. It make sense since this question is in the momentum chapter. Delta P in your example is change in momentum, right?

Thanks, Dex. You've bailed me out again :smile:

Sorry,it's the other way around with the variation of momentum.It's due to the mass flow,and not the velocity variation.I'll edit the post...

Daniel.

Last edited:

1. How is mass exhausted per second calculated from space shuttle thrust?

The mass exhausted per second from space shuttle thrust is calculated using the formula m_dot = F_net / ve, where m_dot is the mass rate of exhaust, F_net is the net thrust produced by the space shuttle, and ve is the effective exhaust velocity.

2. What is the net thrust produced by the space shuttle?

The net thrust produced by the space shuttle is the total thrust generated by the engines minus the atmospheric drag force.

3. How is the effective exhaust velocity determined?

The effective exhaust velocity is determined by dividing the total energy output of the exhaust by the mass rate of exhaust, or ve = E_dot / m_dot. This value takes into account the energy contribution from both the combustion of fuel and the accelerated exhaust gases.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the calculation of mass exhausted per second?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the calculation of mass exhausted per second, such as changes in atmospheric pressure, temperature, and altitude, as well as any malfunctions or inefficiencies in the engines.

5. Why is calculating mass exhausted per second important in space shuttle missions?

Calculating mass exhausted per second is important in space shuttle missions because it helps engineers and scientists understand the performance and efficiency of the space shuttle's engines. This information can then be used to make improvements and optimize future missions.