1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thvenin - Northon

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Suppose i want to find the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b,
    but there are dependent sources in my circuit that depend on the current between points a and b, how should i work?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Put your own fixed current source, I, at a-b and use the usual analysis methods to find the voltage V that this current source must have across it while connected to the circuit. Thevenin resistance will then be V/I. Since you now know the Thevenin resistance, the output voltage V and current I, you can work out the Thevenin voltage that sits "behind" the Thevenin resistance to produce V.

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3
    I can't quite remember, but this approach only works if the circuit consists of only dependent sources. (i.e. not a mix of independent/dependent)

Correct?

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I would think that it would work in all cases (superposition theorem), but I am willing to be corrected. Can you give an example where it would not work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook