Can the TI-83 match the solving abilities of the TI-89?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
In summary, the Ti-89 has features such as csolve and solve, and the Ti-83 does not have these features. In order to get the Ti-83 to perform these functions, a program would need to be created. The Ti-89 also has a CAS system which can simplify algebra expressions and perform tasks such as integration and derivation. However, it can sometimes give incorrect or complex answers. This type of math is incredibly complex, and it is impressive that a computer system can perform it.
Euphoriet
Ti 83-->89

I know the Ti89 has the csolve and solve feautures... so I was wondering if there was a way of getting the ti83 to do this same type of thing?

If a program has to be created.. what would it look like?

Thanks...

What other essential things could be "borrowed" from the ti89 .. by creating a program.. for the ti83?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just buy the Ti-89. Ti-83 is a joke compared to 89

Csolve seems to me to be the same thing that the TI-86 does on equations. As for the 83, you can download "APPS," from TI which gives you a polynominal solver.

I did buy the ti89 but I for some tests I will be taking.. I won't be able to use it.

Doesn't TI89 have a CAS system which can simpify your algebra expressions. Even derivate it can, I think.

It can integrate, derivate, simplify, etc...

HOWEVER it sometimes gets answers that are 'out there'. IE: It gives you either (A) the wrong answer, or (B) a very long answer instead of a simplification (if you try to solve most inversge trig functions you get large equations)

That kind of Math is incredibly complexe, I find it amazing that they managed to get a computer system to do it.

I've tried to just write a simple solving function for polynomials and the hundreds of possibilities are...

1. What are the main differences between the TI 83 and TI 89 calculators?

The main differences between the TI 83 and TI 89 calculators are their capabilities and features. The TI 89 has a larger screen and more advanced functions such as calculus and matrix operations, while the TI 83 is better suited for basic math and statistics.

2. Which calculator is better for high school math?

The TI 83 is typically used in high school math classes, as it has all the necessary functions for basic math and statistics. However, if you are taking more advanced math courses, the TI 89 may be a better choice due to its additional features.

3. Can I use both calculators on standardized tests?

Both the TI 83 and TI 89 are approved for use on standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT. However, some tests may restrict the use of certain features on the TI 89.

4. Is it worth upgrading from a TI 83 to a TI 89?

It depends on your needs. If you are only using the calculator for basic math and statistics, the upgrade may not be necessary. However, if you are taking more advanced math courses or need the additional features, the TI 89 may be a worthwhile investment.

5. Are there any other differences between the TI 83 and TI 89 besides their functions?

Yes, there are a few other differences. The TI 89 has a larger memory capacity and can store more programs and data. It also has a built-in USB port, while the TI 83 requires an additional adapter for computer connectivity. Additionally, the TI 89 has a QWERTY keyboard, while the TI 83 has an ABCD keypad.