Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TI-83 asm programming

1. Aug 29, 2003 #1
    I've been trying to learn asm for the TI-83+ for the last month or so. I've read a bunch of tutorials, and at some point they all say to send the program to the calculator and then type "Send(9prgmNAME" (in my case, TEST) in either the home screen or a new BASIC program to run it. I had no problem getting the program onto the calculator, but whenever I try to run it an ERR:SYNTAX message pops up and points to the "9". I have no clue what I did wrong. Could someone help me?

If it makes finding an answer easier, here's the code:

.NOLIST
    #define equ .equ
    #define EQU .equ
    #define end .end
    #include "ti83asm.inc"
    #include "tokens.inc"
    .LIST
    .org 9327h
    ld a, 3
    ld b, 6
    add a,b
    call _setxxop1
    call _stox
    ret
    .end
    END

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2003 #2
    I've haven't programmed with ASM in a long time, but here goes. I think with the TI-83 it has a built in asm interpreter. Press 2nd + Catalog and it will bring up a list of commands. scroll down to something like "asm(" or "asmprg(". Try those commands.
    Code (Text):
    asm(<program name>)
    Oh, and be careful with ASM. although you can rarely break your calculator with it you can put it out of service for about a day. You can get some very bad freezes.
    -HBar

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  4. Sep 22, 2003 #3
    Figure it out?

If you didn't figure it out yet, I think Patrick Davidson has something about this problem in his FAQ. You can find this on his website at http://pad.calc.org/.

5. Dec 7, 2003 #4
    asm blues

All the syntax for sen(9"program name") is only for the ti-83. It does not work the same on the ti-83+. Chances are if that is what you learned in a tutorial you have compiled the program for the ti-83. You need to find a ti-83+ compiler. I just started to get my asm programs to work and if u need to know where i got my compilier e-mail me at moo_cow0486@yahoo.com and I can try and find it again. The files for a 83 plus are different from an 83. 83+ files are called prgmname.8xp 83 files are prgmname.83p the 83 files wont work on the 83+.So if you have any probs e-mail me or im me at MooCow04862004 on AOL IM.

6. Dec 12, 2003 #5
    While we are on the topic of TI calc programming.. I am new to the downloading of software from the Internet from my TI-86.. I am totally lost on how to even start d/ling! I received a CD with the connector..Anyone help me please! Thanks :P

7. Mar 10, 2004 #6
    First install the TI connect software. Next go to any site with calculator programs such as http://www.ticalc.org and download the programs you want. Connect your calculator to your computer using the graph link you hopefully have if you are asking this question. If you are using TI connect open up the calculator explorer and drop the programs you downloaded from my computer to the calc explorer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?