Troubleshooting ERR:SYNTAX on TI-83+ with asm programming

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties and tips for learning asm programming for the TI-83+ calculator. The main issue is a syntax error that occurs when trying to run the program on the calculator. Possible solutions include using asm commands or finding a TI-83+ compiler. The conversation also briefly touches on downloading software from the internet for TI calculators.
Schwazz
I've been trying to learn asm for the TI-83+ for the last month or so. I've read a bunch of tutorials, and at some point they all say to send the program to the calculator and then type "Send(9prgmNAME" (in my case, TEST) in either the home screen or a new BASIC program to run it. I had no problem getting the program onto the calculator, but whenever I try to run it an ERR:SYNTAX message pops up and points to the "9". I have no clue what I did wrong. Could someone help me?

If it makes finding an answer easier, here's the code:

.NOLIST
#define equ .equ
#define EQU .equ
#define end .end
#include "ti83asm.inc"
#include "tokens.inc"
.LIST
.org 9327h
ld a, 3
ld b, 6
add a,b
call _setxxop1
call _stox
ret
.end
END

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've haven't programmed with ASM in a long time, but here goes. I think with the TI-83 it has a built in asm interpreter. Press 2nd + Catalog and it will bring up a list of commands. scroll down to something like "asm(" or "asmprg(". Try those commands.
Code:
asm(<program name>)
Oh, and be careful with ASM. although you can rarely break your calculator with it you can put it out of service for about a day. You can get some very bad freezes.
-HBar

Last edited:
Figure it out?

If you didn't figure it out yet, I think Patrick Davidson has something about this problem in his FAQ. You can find this on his website at http://pad.calc.org/.

Last edited by a moderator:
asm blues

All the syntax for sen(9"program name") is only for the ti-83. It does not work the same on the ti-83+. Chances are if that is what you learned in a tutorial you have compiled the program for the ti-83. You need to find a ti-83+ compiler. I just started to get my asm programs to work and if u need to know where i got my compilier e-mail me at moo_cow0486@yahoo.com and I can try and find it again. The files for a 83 plus are different from an 83. 83+ files are called prgmname.8xp 83 files are prgmname.83p the 83 files won't work on the 83+.So if you have any probs e-mail me or I am me at MooCow04862004 on AOL IM.

While we are on the topic of TI calc programming.. I am new to the downloading of software from the Internet from my TI-86.. I am totally lost on how to even start d/ling! I received a CD with the connector..Anyone help me please! Thanks :P

First install the TI connect software. Next go to any site with calculator programs such as http://www.ticalc.org and download the programs you want. Connect your calculator to your computer using the graph link you hopefully have if you are asking this question. If you are using TI connect open up the calculator explorer and drop the programs you downloaded from my computer to the calc explorer.

1. What does ERR:SYNTAX mean on my TI-83+ calculator?

ERR:SYNTAX is an error message that appears on TI-83+ calculators when there is a syntax error in an assembly program. This means that there is a mistake in the structure or format of the code, causing the calculator to be unable to execute it.

2. How can I fix ERR:SYNTAX on my TI-83+ calculator?

To fix ERR:SYNTAX, you will need to carefully review your assembly code and make sure that all commands and symbols are in the correct format and order. Double check for any missing or extra parentheses, brackets, or quotation marks. You may also need to refer to the TI-83+ assembly programming guide for specific syntax rules.

3. Can I prevent ERR:SYNTAX from happening in the first place?

While some syntax errors can be inevitable, you can minimize the chances of encountering ERR:SYNTAX by writing clean and organized code, and testing your program in small sections as you go. This will make it easier to identify and fix any errors before they become more complex.

4. Are there any common mistakes that can cause ERR:SYNTAX?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can cause ERR:SYNTAX on TI-83+ calculators. These include using incorrect or misspelled commands, forgetting to close parentheses or quotation marks, and using variables or labels that have not been defined. It is important to pay close attention to detail when programming to avoid these errors.

5. What should I do if I am still getting ERR:SYNTAX after troubleshooting?

If you have carefully reviewed and corrected your code, but are still getting ERR:SYNTAX, it could be an issue with the assembly program itself. Try downloading or using a different version of the program, or seeking assistance from fellow TI-83+ assembly programmers or online forums.