Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Ti 89 and polynomials

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    okay, so i know how to factor( and the expand(

but i have a question for dividing polynomials such as...

9x^5-6x^3+x-63 / x-8

how do i enter this into my calculatoor?! AHH its driving me INSANEEEEEEEEEe

i get 9x^5-6x^3+x-63/x-8 but my teacher gets a different everytime for every problem similar to this...ahhh.

what do i dooooooo
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    Enter it into your calculator as (9x^5-6x^3+x-63)/(x-8), but you could always just do the division yourself instead of on your calculator.
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Gold Member

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    Personally I think it is easier and quicker to synthetically divide then to waste my time plugging it into a calculator.

If you don't know what synthetic division is, you can read about it at the bottom of this page.

6. Nov 7, 2007 #5
    ranger: Use propFrac() located in the algebra menu.

The TI-89 is often difficult (awkward) to use. The problem here is that 8 is not a root of the polynomial. Ranger hit the nail on the head. As for the Algebra menu, it's sort of hidden under the Math menu being the ninth function.
  7. Dec 2, 2007 #6
    The problem is with the order of operations:

9x^5-6x^3+x-63 / x-8

gets treated as:

9x^5-6x^3+x- (63/x) -8

Presumably you meant (9x^5-6x^3+x-63)/(x-8); as d_leet suggested, enter it exactly in this form.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?