Ti-89 Titanium Unresponsive After Deleting Files

In summary, the conversation involves a person having issues with their Ti-89 Titanium calculator while trying to delete unused flash applications. After leaving it for three hours, the calculator and their computer were still unresponsive. They tried to reset the calculator but it didn't work. Finally, they contacted support and were able to reset the calculator and reinstall the OS. They also discussed the differences between the Ti-89 and HP 50G calculators, with the main topic being which one is better for solving algebra and trigonometry problems. They also discussed the capabilities of each calculator, with the manufacturer suggesting they can be used for engineering, math, and science tasks, but acknowledging that they cannot do tasks reserved for humans.
jolenar
Hi,

I was, earlier today, deleting some unused flash applications from my Ti-89 Titanium that were wasting space. Namely the localization things like Cabri Deutsch and Francais and stuff.

After setting it to delete a few files, my Ti-explorer on my computer stopped responding, and and so did the calculator.

I thought it was just taking a while to perform the action so I left for a piano lesson, but after a three hours, nothing had changed. My computer still wouldn't respond and neither would my calculator. After that I pulled the USB plug out, and the calculator just went dead. Yea, I realize maybe that was a stupid move; however, I tried breaking and resetting the calculator and nothing worked; I couldn't shut down the computer either.

I had a backup on my computer of the files I deleted in case they would cause problems once deleted, but I can't restore them because I can't turn the calculator on now, and thus can't connect it to my computer...

I would appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
same problem happened with my phone, its not the calculator its a a pc problem(well not a real problem)
right click on My Computer>Properties>hardware(its a tab)>device manager
while connected find your calculator and uninstall it
disconnect the calculator and reconnect it again and their you go
(just in case)
my pc
properties
hardware
device manager
"Calculator"right click uninstal
disconnect
re-connect

hope it works for you -if it doesent well sorry that's all i know

Last edited:
hey i just realize you were talking about a ti 89t
how is it
because i want one butt i don't know which to choose since everybody is talking about the ti 89t and the hp 50g
and i need mine for physics so which do you think would do it better and i also want to store notes in there so is it possible to transfer text into the ti 89, if its possible (and easy)then you've made up my mind.

Uh yea this is solved already, I called support and they told me how to reset everything the calculator. Then I just had to install the OS again and it worked. It has nothing to do with computer problems; the calculator just had some glitches deep down and needed a complete reset (not just the reset thing from hitting second + on + left + right).

Ti89 has an inherent text creator, and you can transfer that to your pc. I'm not sure if you can transfer text files from your pc to the calculator and get it to open, though.

HP50 has inherent RPN so I would get that. The Ti-89 has a program you can download to use RPN but meh, HP50 > that. The only reason I got the Ti-89 was because more people use Ti stuff, and thus, there are more programs for it.

sorry it wasent help but gladit works
one last thing this is on the specs of th calculators

HP 50G
Engineering
Computer science
Surveying
Trigonometry
Statistics
Geometry
Biology
Chemistry
PhysicsTI-89T
Calculus
AP Calculus
AP Statistics
AP Physics
College Math
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Physics
Geometry

what heck don't either of them do algebra
and the ti 89t really can't do trig?
because honestly trig?
why no trig

Ha ha ha, those are actually lists of things the manufacturer suggests it can be used for. I know the TI-89 can solve algebra problems and trig problems. I'm fairly confident that HP's can do the same. Neither, however, will be able to take AP Physics for you or do electrical engineering. Those tasks are reserved for humans as of current.

1. What should I do if my Ti-89 Titanium becomes unresponsive after deleting files?

If your Ti-89 Titanium becomes unresponsive after deleting files, the first step is to try resetting the calculator. To do this, press and hold the "2nd" button, then press and release the "on" button. Release the "2nd" button and wait for the calculator to reset. If this does not work, you may need to perform a memory reset or a full system restore.

2. Can deleting files on my Ti-89 Titanium cause it to become unresponsive?

Yes, deleting certain files on your Ti-89 Titanium can cause it to become unresponsive. This can happen if you delete important system files or if you delete too many files at once, causing the calculator's memory to become overloaded.

3. How can I prevent my Ti-89 Titanium from becoming unresponsive after deleting files?

To prevent your Ti-89 Titanium from becoming unresponsive after deleting files, make sure to only delete files that you know are safe to delete. Avoid deleting important system files and try not to delete too many files at once. It is also a good idea to regularly back up your calculator's files to a computer or cloud storage.

4. Will restoring my Ti-89 Titanium to factory settings fix the unresponsive issue?

In most cases, restoring your Ti-89 Titanium to factory settings will fix any unresponsive issues caused by deleting files. However, keep in mind that this will also delete all of your saved data and settings, so be sure to back up your files before doing a full system restore.

5. How can I recover my data if my Ti-89 Titanium becomes unresponsive after deleting files?

If you have not backed up your calculator's files, it may be difficult to recover your data if your Ti-89 Titanium becomes unresponsive after deleting files. However, you can try connecting the calculator to a computer and using data recovery software to retrieve your files. If this does not work, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.